Chocolate Zucchini Coconut Cake
Rich and decadent chocolate zucchini coconut cake topped with toasted coconut frosting! The BEST way to enjoy summer zucchini!
For the Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the Coconut Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut, for sprinkling cake
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9" x 13" pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, wnisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, coconut oil, and sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beat until smooth. Add the Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the zucchini, coconut, and chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes, until the top springs back lightly when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
While the cake is cooling, make the coconut frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and mix until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add in the coconut and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
Frost the cooled cake with coconut frosting. Sprinkle toasted coconut over the top of the cake. Cut cake into pieces and serve.
Calories: 542kcal, Carbohydrates: 69g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 29g, Saturated Fat: 20g, Cholesterol: 67mg, Sodium: 170mg, Potassium: 199mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 50g, Vitamin A: 621IU, Vitamin C: 4mg, Calcium: 40mg, Iron: 2mg