1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, add the sugar and orange zest. Rub the orange zest and sugar together with your fingers.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar and orange zest mixture together until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the ricotta cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in the egg, orange juice, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
5. Bake muffins for about 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden brown. Let muffins cool completely.
6. While the muffins are cooking, make the glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Drizzle glaze over muffins. Let the muffins sit until glaze hardens.
Note-we've made these muffins with low-fat and full fat ricotta cheese. Both work nicely so take your pick:)