1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place asparagus spears on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.
3. To make the risotto, heat the vegetable broth in a medium sauce pan. Simmer on low while you make risotto.
4. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onion and garlic on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until all of the grains are coated with butter. Add the white wine and cook for about 2 minutes. Add one cup of broth to the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the broth is absorbed. Continue to add the broth, one cup at a time. Keep stirring the risotto. When the mixture starts to dry out, add more broth. Continue until the rice is cooked, this will take about 30 minutes.
5. Remove pan from the heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Cut the asparagus into bite size pieces and stir into the risotto. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.