1. In a medium skillet, saute the Italian sausage with the red pepper flakes. Drain excess fat, set aside.
2. In a large soup pot, saute the bacon. When the bacon is half way cooked, add the onions and garlic. Saute until the onions are tender-about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil.
4. Add the potatoes and cook until soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Add in the heavy cream and sausage and cook until the soup is heated.
6. Stir in the chopped kale. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.