Copycat Zuppa Toscana soup recipe – as good as Olive Garden’s with spicy Italian sausage, bacon, cream, and kale. Pair with crusty bread and it’s a hearty meal!
Zuppa Toscana and Me
We don’t eat out very often. When we do, we usually support local restaurants. We have our favorites and sometimes it is nice to let someone else do the cooking:) I don’t like chain restaurants or fast food-sometimes I wonder if they even serve real food:) So when we were eating at our friends house the other night and they told us we were having the “Olive Garden’s soup”, I had no clue what they were talking about! 🙂 Sure, I have been to the Olive Garden, but it has been many, many years.
Our friend created a copycat recipe of the Olive Garden’s “famous” Zuppa Tuscana soup. I didn’t try it because of the meat, but Josh loved it. It was right up his alley-spicy Italian sausage, bacon, cream, and kale. At least he got his greens in:) He ended up having two bowls-I gave him my share…ha! And don’t worry, our friends made sure I had a veggie option-they are too nice:)
Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana at Home
Josh was craving the soup the other night-I was scared he was going to drag me to the Olive Garden, but instead he wanted to make it. Whew! 🙂 Josh bought all of the ingredients and made a big pot of Zuppa Tuscana at home. He was pleased with his soup-he said it really hit the spot!
Josh highly recommends eating Zuppa Toscana with good, crusty bread. He likes to dunk the bread in the soup. He loves the robust flavors and big meat chunks.
If you love the Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup, try making it at home. I am sure it’s even better than the real deal!
*And if you love the Olive Garden-I am glad, it is just not my “cup of tea.” 🙂 No hard feelings..ha!
Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large white onion diced
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 3 large Russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 cups Kale washed and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium skillet, saute the Italian sausage with the red pepper flakes. Drain excess fat, set aside.
2. In a large soup pot, saute the bacon. When the bacon is half way cooked, add the onions and garlic. Saute until the onions are tender-about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil.
4. Add the potatoes and cook until soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Add in the heavy cream and sausage and cook until the soup is heated.
6. Stir in the chopped kale. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
If you like this soup, you might also like:
Tortellini Vegetable Soup from Two Peas and Their Pod
Lentil Stew with Sausage from Simply Recipes
Italian Saussage and Bean Soup with Chard from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Sausage Soup from Recipe Girl