Last weekend we had a dinner party at our house, but we didn’t do any of the cooking. Our good friend, Ben, came over with all of the ingredients and made an amazing BBQ Chicken Salad for us and a group of our friends. We were happy to share our kitchen, especially since we reaped the reward-a very tasty meal.
Ben is sharing his special BBQ Chicken Salad recipe today. Trust me, you will want to make this salad again and again. I am already craving it. Mixed greens are topped with bbq chicken, black beans, tomatoes, corn, and fried onions. Warm red potatoes with shallot parley butter are also served on the side. The salad is finished with avocado vinaigrette and blue cheese vinaigrette.
I loved everything about this salad, especially the homemade dressings. They are to die for. I had a salad without the chicken and it was plenty flavorful, so if you want a vegetarian version, go ahead and leave the chicken off. Everyone else loved the chicken though:)
If you think salads are boring, try Ben’s BBQ Chicken Salad. It will become one of your favorite meals.
BBQ Chicken Salad
For the Avocado Vinaigrette:
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 medium shallot chopped
- 3 tablespoons peach jam
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Blue Cheese Vinaigrette:
For the potatoes:
- 2-3 pounds red potatoes washed
- 1 stick butter
- 1 medium shallot minced
- 1 small bunch parsley finely chopped
For the chicken:
- Chicken breasts
- BBQ sauce-use your favorite brand
For the salad:
- Mixed greens
- Tomatoes chopped
- Black beans rinsed and drained
- French fried onions
- To make the avocado vinaigrette-put all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender. Mix until smooth.
- To make the blue cheese vinaigrette-put all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender. Mix until smooth. If the dressing is too thick, add a drizzle of extra olive oil and mix again.
- To make the potatoes-boil a large pot of water and salt well. Boil potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain the water and return potatoes to the pot. Stir in butter, shallot, and parsley. Stir well. Set aside and keep warm until serving.
- Grill the chicken and brush each piece liberally with bbq sauce. Cut into strips and set aside.
- To plate the salads-place mixed greens on a plate. Lay the sliced chicken on top of the greens. Top with tomatoes, black beans, corn, and fried onions. Place a few warm potatoes on the side. Drizzle entire salad with avocado vinaigrette and blue cheese vinaigrette.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this BBQ Chicken Salad, you might also like:
Honey Lime Grilled Chicken Salad from Evil Shenanigans
BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad from What’s Cookin, Chicago?
Grilled Chicken Salad with Red Pepper Sauce and Feta from We are Not Martha