Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Thank you to everyone who visited and commented on our blog! We hope to see you again! We really wish everyone could win a book, but thanks for playing:)
Now for the big news….the winner is Jennifer Brailsford who said: Who does not love bread? It gets even better because it takes five minutes. I am all for it.
Please email us your mailing information and we will get the autographed book to you!! Thanks again to Jeff and Zoe, we love your book! If you didn’t win, sorry…you should still buy it! It is definitely worth it!
We were at Costco the other day and spotted portobello mushrooms. They were huge shrooms and very reasonable in price, so we bought a package. I love portobellos in all forms, but my favorite are stuffed portobellos! So that is what I put on the menu for dinner.
I brushed the mushrooms with balsamic vinegar and stuffed them with garlic, onion, spinach, roasted yellow peppers, tomatoes, and breadcrumbs. We also topped them with mozzerella cheese! We baked them in the oven for about ten minutes and voila, we had an amazing meal!
The mushrooms were thick and “meaty.” I don’t eat meat, so I guess I can’t really compare the two, but these shrooms were thick, tender, juicy, and filling. So much better than meat:) The flavors were fantastic!
2 Portobello mushrooms
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 of an onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper, roasted and chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 cups of fresh spinach
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Italian seasoning (I use a blend from Emeril)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the stem and gills from the mushroom. I use a spoon to scoop them out.
2. Brush the mushrooms with balsamic vinegar.
3. Heat olive oil in a small saute pan. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until tender. Add in peppers. Cook until tender.
4. Add in tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach wilted and “cooked.”
5. Divide the filling and stuff the mushrooms.
6. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on the top and add Italian seasoning. Top with cheese.
7. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about ten minutes or until the cheese is melted.