Chocolate Shortbread Heart Cookies
Crisp and buttery Chocolate Shortbread Heart Cookies that get dipped in chocolate!
Now that the big game is over we can focus on Valentine’s Day. It is time to bust out the chocolate and get ready for the day of looooove! To be honest, Valentine’s Day isn’t my favorite holiday, but I will celebrate any holiday that gives me an excuse to eat chocolate.
Chocolate Shortbread Heart Cookies are the perfect Valentine’s Day treat. The cookies are chocolate AND they get dipped into melted chocolate. Double the chocolate, double the fun!
I love shortbread cookies because they are crisp and buttery! Bring on the butter!
I used Dutch processed cocoa powder to bring out the rich chocolate flavor. I also used our favorite flour, Gold Medal Flour’s Organic All-Purpose Flour. It is the best! And you want to use the best when you are making cookies for your loved ones!
I had to use my pink mixer to make Valentine cookies. So festive!
I rolled out the cookies and cut them into cute heart shapes!
When they were done baking, I dipped the hearts into melted chocolate and sprinkled colorful Valentine’s sprinkles over the chocolate before it hardened.
I had chocolate and sprinkles all over the kitchen, but it was SO worth it. Look at how cute these cookies are!
You know what’s even cuter than the cookies? Our little pea, Caleb! He couldn’t wait to taste a cookie!
He was yelling, “CHOCOLATE!”
Chocolate face and hands…Caleb approved! He is my special Valentine and the cutest taste tester ever! Baking is so much more fun when you can share with your loved ones.
If you are looking for a special treat to make your special Valentine, make Chocolate Shortbread Heart Cookies. They are sure to make your sweetie’s heart go pitter patter!
Chocolate Shortbread Heart Cookies
Crisp and buttery Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are perfect for Valentine's Day or any day!
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 40 minutes (includes chill time)
Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
2 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
2/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
Sprinkles, for decorating
1. Sift the flour, cocoa and salt together. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until combined. Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll the dough 1/4-inch thick as evenly as possible.
Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper.
4. Cut out the cookies with a heart shaped or other cookie cutter. Arrange the cookies, on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, or until crisp and firm. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for two minutes and then transfer to a wire
cooling rack to cool completely.
6. When the cookies are cool dip the hearts into the melted chocolate. I only dipped about 1/4 of the heart. Sprinkle the chocolate section with sprinkles, if desired. Place the heart cookies on wax paper until the chocolate is completely set up.
Note-you can use any type of cookie cutter and sprinkles. You can make these cookies for any and every holiday!
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
Disclosure-this post is in partnership with Gold Medal Flour, all opinions are our own.