Homemade Fruit Leather

Last week I tweeted that I was making homemade fruit leather. Well, I guess lots of people want to know how to make homemade fruit leather because I received several tweets and emails asking for the recipe. So today, I am sharing a simple recipe on how to make homemade fruit leather or fruit roll-ups. It is the same recipe-the only difference is if you roll up the final product up or cut into squares:)

Fruit leather can be pricey to buy at the store, but making it at home is cheaper and so easy. I love making it because I feel all domestic. Plus, I love eating it! It is a great healthy snack!

We are still swimming in peaches so I made homemade peach fruit leather, but you can use any fruit you like. Strawberry and raspberry are two of our other favorite fruit flavors. You can also mix fruits! Peach raspberry fruit leather is delish! I try to use whatever fruits are in season.

To make peach fruit leather, I removed the skins and pits of the peaches and gave them a rough chop. I threw them in my Blendtec blender and added a little agave. Our peaches were ripe and super juicy so they only needed a little bit of agave. Taste your fruit and add sweetener according to the sweetness of the fruit. You can also use honey or granulated sugar.

Blend the fruit until smooth. Pour the fruit mixture onto a baking sheet that has been lined with a Silpat and smooth with a spatula. If you don’t have a Silpat, you can use parchment paper or plastic wrap, but Silpats work the best, in my opinion:)

Put the baking sheet in the oven for 6-8 hours, or until the fruit leather is set and the center is not tacky. Your house will smell delicious while the fruit leather is drying in the oven.

When the fruit leather is finished, pull it out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Peel back the fruit leather from the Silpat baking mat. It should peel right off. You can cut the fruit leather into squares or long strips if you want to make fruit-roll ups. If you want to make fruit roll-ups, cut a long strip of parchment paper and roll the fruit leather up! It’s that easy!

Store the fruit leather and fruit roll-ups in an air-tight container for up to a month. We always eat it pretty quickly:) You can make a few pans at once. We have double ovens and sometimes I will do four pans at the same time. We love homemade fruit leather.

Give Homemade Fruit Leather a go! It is easy and is a great healthy snack for road trips, lunch boxes, hikes, and every day snacking. Enjoy!

And don’t forget to enter our Blendtec Blender Giveaway! We love using our Blendtec to make fruit leather! Good luck!

Homemade Fruit Leather

Yield: 1 pan fruit leather-about 10 fruit roll-ups

Homemade fruit leather is so easy to make and is a great healthy snack! I used peaches for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite fruit. Strawberries and raspberries are my other favorite fruits to use.

3 cups ripe chopped fruit (I used peaches this time)
Sweetener, to taste (I use agave or honey. Granulated sugar is fine too)

1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees F or the lowest temperature your oven will go. Line a 11 x 17 baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat. Set aside.

2. Puree the peaches and sweetener of your choice in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour fruit mixture onto prepared baking sheet and spread to about a 1/8″ thick. I always pound the baking sheet on the counter a few times to make sure the fruit mixture is evenly distributed.

3. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 6-8 hours, until pan is set and the center is not tacky. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Gently peel off the fruit leather from the Silpat. Cut into squares or strips using a pizza cutter, knife, or scissors. If you want to make fruit roll-ups, roll the strips in parchment paper. Store in an air-tight container.

Note-if you don't have a Silpat baking mat, you can line the baking sheet with plastic wrap or parchment paper. The plastic wrap will not melt in the oven because the temperature is so low. I prefer to use a Silpat though. Get creative and use your favorite fruits, you can also mix fruits! The fruit leather will keep up to a month in an air-tight container.

Yum Pin It

139 Responses to “Homemade Fruit Leather”

1. Asmita — September 12, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

I definitely need to make this. My daughter will love it!

2. Vita @ Juicer Depot — September 12, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

There is so much die in fruit roll ups that you buy at the store. This so much healthier for everyone.

3. Laura Adams — September 12, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

I am always wanting to do this and have seen so many recipes, but the thought of keeping my oven on for 6-8 hours in Texas and what my electric bill will look like makes me hesitate. Maybe one day!

4. Katlyn Schroeder — September 12, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

I keep re-reading your post but I’m not seeing what temp the oven should be? Super low, I assume?

5. Katlyn Schroeder — September 12, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

Never mind, it’s at the very bottom! I blame my children and distraction!!!

6. Two Peas — September 12, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

If you look at step 1 it will tell you the temperature:) 150 degrees F or as low as your oven will go.

7. Aggie — September 12, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

Ok seriously? This is awesome! I had no idea how easy fruit leather was to make!

8. Ann P. — September 12, 2012 @ 7:39 pm

How awesome! Fruit leather was always my favorite as a kid! I would do gross things like wrap it around my finger and suck on it as I walked around the grocery store with my mom, for all public to see. haha! Reliving the memories makes me want to make this really badly! I think i’d better get a Silpat and a Blendtec quick :)

9. Nancy@acommunaltable — September 12, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Great post Maria – amazing how simple it is to make, isn’t it? My boys used to love fruit leather… oh, I miss those days!!!

10. Becky — September 12, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

I’m so going to try this soon!! Now, I just need a blendtec ;)

11. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — September 13, 2012 @ 1:30 am

Love love LOVE homemade fruit leather. Can’t wait to give this recipe a try!

12. antique engagement rings — September 13, 2012 @ 6:40 am

What a great idea…..my kids will love it!

13. Kim in MD — September 13, 2012 @ 7:46 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe…I love it!

14. Aprill — September 13, 2012 @ 9:34 am

So I did this with apples without precooking them. Will it still turn out? 6 hours is a long time to wait to find out :)

15. Two Peas — September 13, 2012 @ 9:37 am

I’ve always cooked the apples on the stove first, but I am sure they will be fine. Did you add a little lemon juice to prevent browning?

16. Monica — September 13, 2012 @ 11:12 am

Great post! I’m looking into getting a dehydrator. I wanted to tell you that I recently discovered that agave nectar is almost worse than high fructose corn syrup. I read this below blog post right as I was feeling good for sweetening my oatmeal with agave instead of brown sugar.

17. Esi — September 13, 2012 @ 11:23 am

I need to try this!

18. Julia {The Roasted Root} — September 13, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

This takes me back to my brown bag lunches in gradeschool but in a waaaaay cool and healthier way. It’s been forever since I’ve had fruit leather. Looks like a fun and tasty experiment!

19. Lisa | With Style and Grace — September 13, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

I had NO idea how easy these are!! I can’t wait to give this a try!!

20. Veronica — September 13, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

SO interesting! I’ve always wondered how this sort of stuff is made and making it at home would be amazing since there would be no preservatives. I must try this :)

21. Diane — September 13, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

I love your site. My fave blender recipe is a fruit smoothie and of course chocolate milkshakes!!!!

22. Rachel @ Following In My Shoes — September 14, 2012 @ 12:21 am

I tried making fruit leathers once. ONCE.

I totally bombed at it … mainly because I decided to use blackberries…. and didn’t strain the seeds out.

big. fat. FAIL.

23. Annalise — September 14, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

I knew this post was coming, even saw the fruit leather on your counter top, and I’m still super excited about this post. I’m going to having to try making my own for sure!

24. Pingback: Peach Almond Muffins | Peach Muffin Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

25. aida mollenkamp — September 19, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

So basic and yet such a delicious way to use up lots of fruit. Thanks for sharing, Maria!

26. Melanie — September 20, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

I just made mango fruit leather using your recipe/directions here! It is delicious! :)

27. rivky — September 24, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

I made these and they were so good but I ended up having to bake them for 10 hours and they were still way too moist. ( I stuck them in the freezer and we’re eating them from there. Any advice on why this happened and how to prevent it?
    ps- my oven was set on dehydrate 150 degrees

28. Two Peas — September 25, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Hmmm…do you live in a humid climate? Utah is dry so maybe that is why mine didn’t take as long?

29. rivky — September 25, 2012 @ 11:29 am

I live in NY.
    The taste was incredible btw!
    So…no tips? I would love if this recipe replaced the storebought ones.

30. Two Peas — September 25, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

You can try turning up the oven a bit-no higher than 200. Ours dried up nicely. Sorry you had issues.

31. susan — October 16, 2012 @ 1:39 am

I have made several attempts. I am going to try it your way.Looks delicious!

32. Robyn Gadd — October 18, 2012 @ 10:56 am

If my oven only goes as low as 170 degrees, is that still okay?

33. Two Peas — October 18, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Yes, that is fine. Just watch it because the time it takes to dry might be a little different. Enjoy!

34. Pingback: More Healthy Choices for Kids

35. Ellen — November 12, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

I just followed these instructions and made fruit leather for the first time. I made pear/strawberry and had the hardest time not eating my fruit puree before pouring it onto the silpat! It is on it’s 2nd hour in the oven and is smelling so good. I hope that this turns out. Couldn’t be easier! And so much cheaper and healthier than store bought fruit roll-ups! Thank you!

36. Pingback: Persimmon Who? « Sweet Surrender

37. Pingback: Limited Edition Edible Christmas Cards | superflux

38. Pingback: These are a few of my favorite (Healthy Sweet Treats) Things… | This American Mama

39. Judy — January 26, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

ALL plastic wraps give off toxic fumes to whatever they are in contact with!
    Use parchment paper instead.

40. Pingback: Changes to General Mills Packaging in 2014 | grocery store rules