Peanut Butter Apple Bars
One of my all time favorite snacks is apple slices dipped in peanut butter. I usually have an apple with peanut butter every afternoon. I never get tired of this classic snack. I decided to transform my favorite snack into a dessert by making Peanut Butter Apple Bars. I think I may have a new favorite snack now, because these bars are delicious! They may not be as healthy, but definitely worth splurging on once in awhile.
I used Granny Smith apples for this recipe, because I like to bake with tart apples. Feel free to use your favorite apples or whatever you have on hand. The peanut butter bars are loaded with apple chunks, which keep the bars soft and moist. When the bars were done cooling, I drizzled a creamy peanut butter glaze over the top of the bars. Don’t skip this step, because the peanut butter glaze is amazing. I will warn you, it is addicting. I couldn’t stay out of the glaze, I licked the bowl clean:)
If you like apples and peanut butter together, you will fall in love with these bars. Apples are in season right now, so put them to good use by making these Peanut Butter Apple Bars. They make a great fall sweet snack or dessert.
Peanut Butter Apple Bars
Yield: 24 bars
Cook Time: 30 minutes
For the bars:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced apples, peel removed (I used Granny Smith apples)
For the peanut butter glaze:
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and set aside.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter, until creamy and combined. Set mixture aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the peanut butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared dry ingredients, and stir until batter is smooth. Fold in the diced apples.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading the batter evenly to the edges of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are slightly browned. Remove bars from oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
6. While the bars are cooling, make the peanut butter glaze. In a medium bowl, combine the sifted powdered sugar, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled bars. Cut into squares and serve.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like these Peanut Butter Apple Bars, you might also like: