Recipe for Fruit Pizza
Today is my sister’s birthday. Happy Birthday Crissy! We had her family over for dinner last night and had a great time celebrating. My niece and nephew always put a smile on my face. They are just too cute! Aubrey is three and quite the entertainer. We grilled shrimp because they are her FAVORITE. She loves “shrimpies.” We also had sweet corn, watermelon, and grilled lemon basil potatoes.
Like me, my sister is not a huge cake fan, so I made her favorite dessert, fruit pizza. The crust is basically one big sugar cookie. I added lemon zest to the dough and cream cheese frosting to enhance the flavor. I used strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and kiwi to decorate the pizza. It was almost too pretty to cut! Everyone loved it.
Adapted from All Recipes
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
Zest of one lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 package of cream cheese, (8 oz.) we used reduced fat
2 T sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 T fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pizza pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer. Add the egg, lemon zest, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
3. In a bowl, add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Whisk.
4. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture on low speed, using the mixer. Mix just until combined.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. You want the crust to be light golden brown. Let the crust cool.
6. Make the frosting. Mix the cream cheese, sugars, lemon juice, and lemon together untilsmooth. Spread over cooled cookie crust.
7. Arrange fruit on the cookie pizza. Chill until ready to serve. Cut in wedges.