Recipe for Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
We love Mexican cuisine! It is spicy and full of flavor! I am also big on soups this winter, I am sure you have noticed:) I hope you are up for one more!
I recently made this Vegetarian Tortilla Soup and it was fantastic. Josh said it was his favorite one yet. I told him he says that all of the time, but he said everything is always really good, but this one is REALLY, REALLY good. I made up the recipe while I was making it so I am glad it turned out so well.
I loved the chunks of veggies-potatoes, zucchini, and corn. I used diced tomatoes with green chiles. If you can’t find these, just add in a can of diced green chiles. I also threw in a minced jalapeno, so this soup really had a kick! If you can’t handle the heat, just leave it out:)
To spice things up even more, I had a little buffet of toppings: cheese, tortilla strips, diced avocado, cilantro, and lime wedges. To make the tortilla strips-I just cut flour tortillas in strips and baked them in the oven at 400 degrees! Super easy and much healthier than frying them.
So if you are in fiesta mood, give this soup a chance! It was a winner!
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced (leave out if you don’t like things hot)
1 large russet potato, diced (I left the skin on for more nutrients)
2 small zucchini, chopped
1 bag of frozen corn (use fresh if you have it)
2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (if you can’t find these, add in a can of green chiles)
3 15 oz. cans of vegetable broth (low sodium, fat free)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Fresh lime juice
1. In a large pot saute the onion in 1 T. of olive oil. When it is tender add in the garlic and jalapeno. Saute for about 2 minutes.
2. Add in the potato, zucchini, and corn. Saute until veggies are soft.
3. Pour in the tomatoes and vegetable broth. If you are using plain tomatoes, add in a can of green chiles. Stir well.
4. Add in fresh cilantro and lime juice.
5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot with toppings.