Red, White, & Blue Scones
We are currently in Illinois visiting my family for the 4th of July weekend. It is so good to be home. We are going to swim, play tennis, cook, bake, eat, and relax all weekend. I am overdue for some rest and relaxation and there is no place like home for a nice relaxing vacation. If you are looking for a festive 4th of July breakfast treat, try these Red, White, and Blue Scones. They are perfect for the 4th!
The sweet cream scones are filled with fresh blueberries and strawberries. You can’t go wrong with berries on the 4th of July. I cut the scones into star shapes to make the scones extra festive. If you don’t have a star cookie cutter, you can use a regular biscuit cutter. When the scones were finished baking I drizzled white chocolate over the tops. I had the red and blue in the scones and needed to finish them off with the white. Plus, you can’t go wrong with a good white chocolate drizzle.
Celebrate the 4th of July with Red, White, and Blue Scones. They are a great way to kick-off the holiday!
I am obsessed with dishes and I recently stumbled across the website Rosanna. You have to check it out. I am in love with ALL of their dishes. The cake stand I used in this post is from Rosanna. If you are looking for fun, unique, and beautiful dishes/tableware make sure you check out their site. I want to order one of everything!
Have a great 4th of July weekend and be safe!
Red, White, & Blue Scones
Yield: 12 scones
Cook Time: 12-14 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh chopped strawberries
1 large egg
3/4 cup cold heavy cream, plus extra cream to brush the tops
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of shortcakes
1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted-for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Drop in the butter and, using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour. Use your fingers or a pastry blender, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients. You will have some small pea size pieces of butter and that is fine. Gently stir in the blueberries and strawberries.
3. In a small glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the egg, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Pour mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula just until the dough comes together. Carefully knead the dough by hand, just until the dough comes together.
4. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough. Pat the dough into a circle. Gently roll out the dough. You want the dough to be about an inch thick. Cut the dough into star shapes using a cookie cutter. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Lightly brush the scones with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer shortcakes to a rack and cool to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, drizzle each scone with white chocolate. Let stand until chocolate is dry.