Slow Cooker Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Black Bean Tortilla Soup-this easy vegetarian tortilla soup is a family favorite. It is made in the crockpot and is great for lunch or dinner.
This is a sponsored post by Hunt’s tomatoes. All opinions are our own.
It is cold outside, but not in our kitchen. We have been cooking up warm and comforting meals to keep us warm during the freezing winter months. One of our favorite meals is this Slow Cooker Black Bean Tortilla Soup. I love this soup because it is comfort food in a bowl, but is still New Years resolutions friendly. This healthy soup will fill you up and warm you up!
I also love this soup because it is made in the slow cooker. It only takes minutes to prepare and then the crockpot does the rest of the work. The soup simmers away while you go about your busy day! When you are ready to eat, it will be hot and ready.
This easy tortilla soup is made with black beans, bell peppers, onion, garlic, corn, lime, cilantro, Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and vegetable broth. I like to use Hunt’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes because they are gently roasted over an open fire for a great smoky, Southwestern flavor. They are 100% natural with no artificial preservatives or ingredients, and deliver a fresh-from-the-grill flavor that really enhances the flavor of this soup.
Instead of using chemicals, like lye* Hunt’s peels all its diced, whole and stewed tomatoes using steam from simple hot water – the process is called FlashSteam™. This means no chemical by-products get put back into the earth.
Tortilla soup has always been a favorite of mine because I love the soup AND the toppings! I always load my bowl with toppings galore. Avocado slices, fresh cilantro, radish slices, green onions, a little cheese, and tortilla strips. Tortilla strips are a MUST because it is tortilla soup. I always bake the tortilla strips in the oven instead of frying them to keep the soup on the lighter side. They taste just as good and add a nice crunchy, salty topping to the soup. Warm up with a bowl of Slow Cooker Black Bean Tortilla Soup this winter. It will take away all of your winter blues.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Tortilla Soup
This easy crockpot soup is great for lunch or dinner. Load your soup bowl with all of your favorite toppings!
Yield: Serves 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours (on low)
Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
For the Tortilla Soup:
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, green onion, shredded cheese, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, and tortilla strips
For the Baked Tortilla Strips:
- 8 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cook for 3 hours on high heat or 6 hours on low heat.
- Meanwhile, make the baked tortilla strips. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush both sides of the corn tortillas gently with vegetable oil. Stack the tortillas on top of each other and cut into thin strips. Spread the strips in a single layer on baking sheets and season with salt. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until tortilla strips are crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve the soup warm with baked tortilla strips and desired toppings.
Note-This soup will keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 4 days or freeze it for up to 2 months in a freezer container.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hunt’s . The opinions and text are all mine.