Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake

We bought a house at the end of last summer, soon after we were married. I love our home, but I had no idea how many projects would pop up. For the past two weeks we have been putting in a sprinkler system. Ok, I really shouldn’t say we, Josh has been putting in the sprinkler system. I am lucky to have such a hard working husband, he is very handy:)

Well, it is almost done. Yahoo! The hydroseed is going in on Tuesday and hopefully our grass will be up in no time. Next on the list, our garden. We’ve planted some tomatoes and flowers, but we have more to do!

We did discover four huge rhubarb plants in our yard. The previous owners must of planted them and I am SO glad they did. I have fallen head over heels for rhubarb. I know I’ve tasted it before but I don’t remember being too fond of it. I didn’t want the rhubarb to go to waste, so I decided to try out some new recipes.

I tried a Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake that I saw on Sugar Plum’s blog. I figured this would be a safe one to start with. The cake part was very basic. I scattered the sliced strawberries and rhubarb over the batter. I loved their bright red color. I also added a crumb topping, after it baked for awhile.

I wasn’t really sold on the rhubarb idea, so I had Josh taste it. He LOVED it so of course I had to have a bite and WOW! I was surprised at how good it was. I loved the tartness of the rhubarb paired with the sweet strawberries and sugary, crunchy crumb topping. This cake is a winner! We took it to a BBQ and our friends are now big rhubarb fans!

I still have a lot of rhubarb to use up. If you have any favorites, please share! What can I say? I have a new crush:)

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake
Adapted from Sugar Plum

(Printable Recipe)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I added this)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk (I used skim)
1 cup sliced strawberries
2/3 cup finely chopped rhubarb

Crumb Topping:
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used 1/4 cup flour)
1/3 cup old fashioned oats (I added these)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I added this) 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (I only used 4 tablespoons)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 1 (9-inch) round cake pan.
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a large mixing bowl, beat together 6 tablespoons butter and granulated sugar until creamy, about 1 minute; beat in yolks and vanilla until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with milk until combined, about 1-2 minutes. Spread cake batter evenly into prepared pan. Top batter with strawberries and rhubarb. Bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the crumb topping: Combine brown sugar, flour, oats, and 4 tablespoons butter; knead together using fingertips or a fork until well combined and mixture starts to clump together. Keep in freezer until ready for use. When cake has baked 20 minutes, top evenly with crumb mixture. Continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into cakes comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool for 30 minutes before running a knife around outside edges. Remove cake from pan and cool on a rack.

86 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake”

The Short (dis)Order Cook — May 18, 2009 @ 9:24 am

HA HA HA!!! You said RHUBARB!!!

Okay. Got that out of my system.

I love trying other bloggers recipes. I swear I do more pilfering than I make my own recipes these days. Nice job with this one.

Debbie — May 18, 2009 @ 9:55 am

I love Emily’s blog and always want to make her cakes and cookies. Yours looks wonderful. I so want to try this too. I haven’t had rhubarb in sooo long!!!

Aggie — May 18, 2009 @ 9:57 am

I have never had rhubarb! What does it taste like? I’m feeling like I have to go get some soon and try it! Your cake looks fantastic!

Teanna DiMicco — May 18, 2009 @ 10:04 am

Now that is AMAZING!!! You had rhubarb in your backyard?! You are so lucky! I actually have always feared rhubarb for some reason – never even heard of it before last summer when I moved to DC. But the other night, I had a rhubarb gelee at a restaurant and now I can’t stop thinking about it! I’m going to get some tonight!!! This recipe looks fantastic and if all goes well, I’ll make this soon, too!!!

Megan — May 18, 2009 @ 10:11 am

I’ve only had one good experience with rubarb and of course I lost the recipe. I’ll keep this one handy and try it again!

Christan — May 18, 2009 @ 10:19 am

Love your blog! We love rhubarb at our house too. We usually get it from grandma’s house, but planted two plants this year. I often make rhubarb bread (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rhubarb-Bread-I/Detail.aspx). It is amazing. I substitute egg beaters for the egg and applesauce for all of the oil. It still turns out great!

Foodie with Little Thyme! — May 18, 2009 @ 11:14 am

I know that I have never cooked Rhubarb and I’m not sure if I’ve ate it before. You sure did make it look yummy.

pigpigscorner — May 18, 2009 @ 11:43 am

I can’t take my eyes off the first pic! Looks sooo good! Too bad my hubs hates rhubarb =( I’ve been dying to try cooking that.

Jan — May 18, 2009 @ 11:57 am

Strawberries and rhubarb = double yum!

stephchows — May 18, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

You are seriously lucky to have those plants!! I need to plant one in Johns backyard when he’s not looking :)

Gaby — May 18, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

I was waiting for this post ever since your twitter about it! It looks delicious and I love rhubarb!

Bridgett — May 18, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

What a beautiful cake! I need to use the rhubarb I got today so I am bookmarking this idea!

The Mama Chronicles — May 18, 2009 @ 4:42 pm

Ooh, this looks yum. Will have to pick up extra rhubarb at the farmer’s market this weekend.

Audrey — May 18, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

Oh, this looks good. I’ve only had rhubarb once or twice and I can’t say I liked it all that much…but I know people who love it, and maybe they will do my laundry or wash my car in exchange for a rhubarb cake! Probably not. (I might make this for them anyway. Then I can have a piece and become a convert.)

Kerstin — May 18, 2009 @ 5:18 pm

That’s so great you’re starting a garden, how fun! We live in an apartment, but we have a small little herb garden we just started. The rhubarb crumb cakes looks really tasty!

Reeni♥ — May 18, 2009 @ 5:19 pm

Your cake looks perfect! I’ve never had it before, but can’t wait to try it. It’s all over the blogs, and everyone seems to love it.

Engineer Baker — May 18, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

Lucky you – I can’t wait until I can have a house instead of a tiny apartment, even with all the chores. That cake looks awesome (I’ve been waiting for it since you mentioned it on Twitter), but here’s a tip – Smitten Kitchen’s Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble. Pure awesomeness.

Adam — May 18, 2009 @ 5:56 pm

Oh man you have a sprinkler system? I’m super jealous :)

The crumb cake looks great. I love the crumb topping, and you can’t go wrong with any of Emily’s recipes.

I usually just make a rhubarb bread, kinda like how you would make a banana one. You just need a little bit more fat or moisture to bind it together, because ya know… there’s um no bananas :)

Monica H — May 18, 2009 @ 7:35 pm

I have a new crush too, this is lovely.

It needs a big ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream though :-)

Ingrid — May 18, 2009 @ 7:55 pm

Looks good. I’ve never had rhubarb before. I think I’d like it as I like things that are tart and tangy.
    ~ingrid

Natashya — May 19, 2009 @ 4:18 am

I love strawberry and rhubarb together, so lucky to have mature plants in your yard!

ttfn300 — May 19, 2009 @ 4:54 am

LOVE rhubarb, and the strawberry pairing is classic :) i was eyeing this cake, too!

Maria — May 19, 2009 @ 6:48 am

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and suggestions. Come back for more rhubarb later this week:)

Anne — May 19, 2009 @ 8:07 am

What a fun surprise in your yard! We are working a sprinkler system right now, too… yikes. Good luck to you guys! :)

Robin Sue — May 19, 2009 @ 8:39 am

You won me over with the oats in the topping. This looks to be a great cake. Must go out and get some rhubarb now!

Mermaid Sweets — May 19, 2009 @ 11:06 am

So jealous about the rhubarb plant, I think I want to make just about everything you post!

A_and_N — May 19, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

I LOVE the crumb on this cake. we’ve bought a ton of oats and i guess this is a great use for them :)

The Blonde Duck — May 19, 2009 @ 2:03 pm

I’ve never had rhubarb. This looks great though!

Life on Pelican Street — May 19, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

Oohh this looks great! I have to share this with my mon, she loves rhubarb!!

Kara — May 19, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

That sounds fabulous! My parents have a bumper crop of rhubarb every year and they always share with us. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

The Caked Crusader — May 20, 2009 @ 11:32 am

I adore rhubarb and this cake looks awesome. I haven’t ever tried strawberry and rhubarb together like this.

Colleen — May 20, 2009 @ 11:51 am

I love any and all kinds of crumb cake – this looks delicious!

Cakelaw — May 20, 2009 @ 8:03 pm

It looks amazing Maria. I saw this on Em’s blog and it looked good.

Live.Love.Eat — May 21, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

This looks gorgeous Maria!!!!!

Girl Japan — May 26, 2009 @ 10:37 pm

Oh.. oh how delish.. Rhubarb, I have not had it in so, so very long!!!!

Suparna — June 6, 2009 @ 9:12 am

hi,
    I love your blog…I've been reading all your posts when ever I find time. I love your recipes…and have quite a few in my 'to do' list. u guys are doing a great job.
    Happy blogging.
    Rgds
    TC

Jen @ How To: Simplify — April 15, 2010 @ 9:06 am

I just had rhubarb for the first time ever the other day. I made a strawberry rhubarb pie and instantly fell in love with rhubarb. I bet this crumb cake is delicious!

Cookin' Canuck — April 15, 2010 @ 9:10 am

This screams summer to me and looks absolutely fabulous!

Maggy — April 15, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

I’ve never seen rhubarb cake – this looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it.

Michelle — April 15, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

This looks so good! Hopefully my rhubarb will be big enough next week for picking!