Banana Cake with Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Streusel-simple banana cake with a swirl of chocolate hazelnut butter and sweet chocolate chip hazelnut streusel topping! This cake is perfect for brunch or dessert!
It was a long week at our house. Caleb got sick and that put a damper on everything. I hate being sick, but I really hate it when my kiddos are sick. It is not fun. I feel helpless and wish I could do something to make them feel better. The only good part, the snuggles. I got lots of snuggles from Caleb this week. If only he would snuggle me when he was well!
After a long week, I think we need and deserve a sweet treat. To celebrate Caleb feeling better and to kick off the weekend, let’s all enjoy a piece of Banana Cake with Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Streusel. I LOVE this banana cake and I think you will too!
Brown bananas make me happy because that means I get to create a tasty treat. I never let them go to waste. I love turning old, ugly bananas into something beautiful…like this cake!
Bananas and hazelnuts are a dream combo. Trust me on this one. I made a simple banana cake and swirled Chocolate Hazelnut Butter into the cake batter. I like to use Justin’s nut butter, but Nutella would also work!
I don’t stop there. I sprinkle the cake with a sweet chocolate chip hazelnut streusel topping. I bet I’ve got your attention now. That’s right, this is not an ordinary banana cake, the chocolate hazelnut swirl and chococate chip hazelnut streusel topping make it extra, extra special!
You might be wondering when you should serve and eat this cake? Anytime is a good time. It is similar to a coffee cake, so it is 100% acceptable for breakfast and brunch. It also makes a great snack, wash it down with a glass of milk. And of course, it makes a killer dessert. Add a scoop of ice cream on the side and you will be in dessert heaven!
This Banana Cake with Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Streusel Topping is a winner! I think you should make it this weekend!
Banana Cake with Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Streusel
- For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Butter or Nutella
- For the Hazelnut Streusel Topping:
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts toasted, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, add the mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Stir until combine. Stir in the dry ingredients. Don't over mix.
- 4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Spoon Chocolate Hazelnut Butter or Nutella over the cake batter. Swirl in with a toothpick.
- 5. To make the Hazelnut Streusel Topping, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl. Rub together with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle streusel evenly over the cake. Top with hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- 6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cake is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing and serving.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Follow us on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!