On Saturday, Josh went snowboarding with his friend. I wasn’t invited, not that I wanted to go, I hate the snow, cold, and scary, steep mountains:) I have tried skiing twice, but I am not a fan. I prefer to stay inside where it is warm. So I spent the day cooking and baking-that is my idea of a good time. I wanted Josh to come home to something hearty and warm, so I made a black bean sweet potato soup.
We love black bean soup at our house. We have a couple favorite recipes, but I wanted to try something new. I had a large sweet potato lying on the counter and decided to throw it into the mix. It turned out to be the shining star in this soup. It gave the soup great color, texture, taste, and added nutrients.
This soup is very filling, but in a “good for you” way. I made a large batch so we could freeze half of it for later. I am glad I did because I am already wanting more:) Josh loved it too, it was the perfect post snowboarding meal.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper chopped (you can use jarred)
- 2 cans low sodium vegetable broth 15 oz. size
- 2 cups water
- 3 cans low sodium black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add in the onion and cook until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the sweet potato and roasted red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 3. Add in the broth, water, black beans, and tomatoes. Stir well.
- 4. Add the chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Stir and toss in the cilantro. Stir again. Let the soup simmer on medium low for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- 5. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- **You can garnish the soup with cilantro, avocado slices, cheese, tortilla strips, and/or sour cream. To freeze-cool completely and put the soup in freezer safe containers. **
If you like this Black Bean and Sweet Potato soup, you might also like:
Black Bean and Sweet Corn Soup with Cilantro and Lime from Two Peas and Their Pod
Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from Smitten Kitchen
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup from Closet Cooking
Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans and Lime from Kalyn’s Kitchen