This week I made black bean and sweet potato tostadas for dinner and used fresh corn tortillas from Tortilla Land. They taste just like homemade fresh tortillas, without any work.
We love making these tostadas because they are so easy and so delicious! Our entire family loves them!
Tostadas are one of our favorite week night meals. We love making black bean and mango tostadas during the hot, summer months, but now we are craving fall foods. We decided to create a new tostada recipe for fall. We replaced the mangoes with roasted sweet potatoes. I thought I might miss the mangoes, but nope-not even for a second. The roasted sweet potatoes were the perfect addition to our fall tostadas.
While the sweet potatoes were roasting in the oven, we cooked up some fresh tortillas. Tortilla Land tortillas are sold uncooked in the refrigerator section at the store. I love that there are no preservatives, lard, trans fat, or cholesterol involved. All you have to do is heat them up for about 60 seconds and you have hot, fresh, taste like homemade tortillas. I love watching them bubble up-that is the best part:) We slipped our tortillas under the broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp them up-which made them the perfect base for our black bean sweet potato tostadas.
We garnished the tostadas with our favorite toppings-cilantro, red onion, avocado, and a squeeze of fresh lime. Josh also added cheese and hot sauce to his. Feel free to add whatever toppings you like. These black bean and sweet potato tostadas are the perfect quick and easy meal for fall. Make them this weekend-the black beans and bright orange sweet potatoes make them the perfect meal for Halloween!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tostadas
- 2 large sweet potatoes washed, peeled, and cut into small cubes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas we used Tortilla Land
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Shredded cheese optional
- Salsa or hot sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potato cubes on a large baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft and tender. Stir a couple of times while they are roasting.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat corn tortillas over medium-high heat. When tortillas start to bubble up, flip and heat the other side until golden brown, about 30 seconds for each side. Place tortillas on a baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Place under a hot broiler for about 2 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over tortillas. Place tortillas back under the broiler for another two minutes.
- Heat black beans over the stove or in the microwave. Top tortillas with beans, sweet potatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and any other toppings you desire. Serve warm.
- *Note-these are a little messy, we just pick them up and eat them with our hands:)
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these black bean and sweet potato tostadas, you might also like: