This easy and fresh Black Bean Salad with corn, avocado, tomatoes, red pepper, cilantro, and lime is always a crowd pleaser! Serve it as a salad or dip with tortilla chips!
One of my favorite things about summer are all of the BBQ’s, parties, potlucks, and picnics. I feel like our neighborhood is a lot more social during the summertime.
One of my favorite recipes to make during the summertime is this Black Bean Salad. It is my go to because I love it and because EVERYONE loves it. It is always a crowd pleaser! And the best part? It only takes minutes to make!
You can serve it as a salad or even as a chip dip, kind of similar to Cowboy Caviar. I love scooping this salad up with salty tortilla chips!
Table of Contents
I also love this salad because it is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free, making it a great salad to share with everyone! It is colorful, healthy, and super fresh! This easy salad has all of my favorite ingredients in one bowl.
- Black beans– make sure you rinse and drain the black beans before you get started. You don’t want the liquid in the can in your salad or it will be soupy.
- Corn– I love using fresh sweet corn in this salad during the summertime. Cut the corn kernels off a large ear of corn with a sharp knife. You don’t have to cook the sweet corn, you can add it to the salad raw. If corn is out of season, you can use frozen corn or drained canned corn.
- Tomatoes– I use grape or cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. You can also use a large tomato and chop it, both work great!
- Red bell pepper– yellow or orange bell pepper work too!
- Red onion– I use red onion because I love the pop of purple, but green onion will work too.
- Cilantro– chopped cilantro really boost the flavor in this salad. If you are in the group that thinks cilantro tastes like soap, you could use fresh parsley instead. I love the cilantro flavor though:)
- Lime– Fresh lime juice prevents the avocado from browning and adds great flavor.
- Olive oil– just a little drizzle. You can also use avocado oil.
- Spices– I add chili powder and cumin. The chili powder doesn’t make the salad spicy, it just gives it a nice flavor. If you want to add heat to the salad, you can add diced jalapeño.
- Avocado– stir in the avocado right before serving so it doesn’t turn brown.
How to Make Black Bean Salad
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt, chili powder, and cumin.
- Stir to combine.
- Gently stir in the avocado and season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce to bulk it up for lunch or dinner. Add a drizzle of Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing.
- Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or Fritos. It makes a great appetizer for any party!
- Put the black bean salad inside of a quesadilla.
- Use the salad as a taco filling.
How to Store
You can prepare the salad in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Just wait to stir in the avocado right before. Stir gently so it doesn’t get mashed up.
More Salad Recipes
Black Bean Salad
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn, 1 large ear of sweet corn or 1 cup defrosted frozen corn
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 ½ limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt, chili powder, and cumin. Stir to combine. Gently stir in the avocado and season with additional salt, if necessary. Serve.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod