I have a hard time sleeping and this weekend was no different. I was up every morning by 5:00. I am a morning person and like to get things done, but sometimes on weekends I wish I could sleep in a little. Oh well, being up at the crack of dawn resulted in a glorious batch of blueberry cream cheese muffins.
Blueberry muffins are always popular, but I wanted to kick things up a notch. These muffins are extra special because they have a surprise inside-cream cheese!
I filled each muffin cup with a little batter and then I added the secret lemon cream cheese filling. I topped the muffins off with additional batter and turbinado sugar. The muffins are great on their own, but the lemon cream cheese filling with the plump, juicy blueberries makes these muffins marvelous.
When Josh woke up the muffins were done baking and ready to be tested. He didn’t taste the cream cheese filing until the second bite. I knew he did, because mmmm, went to MMMMM! He loved the surprise filling. It reminded him of creamy blueberry cheesecake.
A fresh blueberry muffin with lemon cheesecake in the mix is the perfect way to start any morning! Surprise your loved ones with these muffins-they will love them!
If you live in Utah, don’t forget to come out and support the National Food Bloggers Bake Sale on Saturday, April 17th. Come taste treats from your favorite Utah bloggers and support Share Our Strength. Details can be found here.
Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- Cream cheese filling:
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Turbinado sugar-for sprinkling on muffins before baking
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pan or line pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- 3. In a small bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest. Rub sugar and zest together, until fragrant. Add to the flour mixture and whisk again.
- 4. In a separate medium bowl, mix canola oil, egg, milk, and vanilla together.
- 5. Incorporate the wet ingredients into flour mixture. Add slowly and do not over mix. The batter will be lumpy and thick. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- 6. In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, lemon zest, and sugar until smooth. Fill each muffin cup half way with batter. Next, add about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling to each muffin cup. Cover each cup with remaining batter so you can't see the cream cheese filling. Sprinkle each muffin with turbinado sugar.
- 7. Bake muffins for 17-20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool on a cooking rack.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these muffins, you might also like:
Oatmeal Berry Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Rhubarb Apple Cinnamon Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Plum Coffee Cake Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Strawberry, Almond, and Coconut Muffins from Food Blogga
Apple Cinnamon Chip Muffins from My Baking Addiction
Lemon Ginger Muffins from Simply Recipes