I didn’t have time to go grocery shopping over the weekend since we were in Idaho visiting my grandpa. We had some odds and ends in the fridge, but not enough food to create a tasty meal. Luckily, we had a container of soup hiding in the freezer. I heated up black bean and sweet potato soup for dinner and Josh made cheddar cheese biscuits to go with.
Josh loves homemade biscuits, we have made several different biscuit recipes, but this time he wanted a savory biscuit to go with the soup. He made drop biscuits to keep things simple-he was hungry:) He added in garlic, cheddar cheese, and cilantro. Josh made jumbo biscuits and some smaller biscuits-he loved them both- the smaller ones were plenty big in my opinion:)
These savory biscuits are easy to prep and they bake up in 15 minutes. The cheese melted nicely throughout the biscuits. I love the color and flavor the cilantro added too. Hats off to Josh-the biscuits were the perfect addition to our soup.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I hope you are wearing green:)
Cheddar Cheese Biscuits with Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Blend the cold butter into the dry ingredients-Josh used his hands to do this. Blend until the mixture has pea size chunks of butter left. It will be crumbly and that is a good thing. You want to see little pieces of butter. Don't over blend.
- Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon. Gently mix, just until the ingredients are moist. Don't overmix.
- Gently stir in the cheese, garlic, and cilantro. Just until they are mixed throughout.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. With a spoon, scoop the biscuits onto the baking sheet. For jumbo biscuits-use about ⅓ cup of dough. For smaller biscuits-use about 3 Tablespoons of dough. Bake the jumbo biscuits for 15-18 minutes. Bake the smaller biscuits for 12-15 minutes. You want them to be golden brown on top and on the bottoms.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these biscuits, you might also like:
Buttermilk Drop Biscuits from Two Peas and Their Pod
Hell’s Backbone Biscuits from Two Peas and Their Pod
Buttermilk Biscuit Bread from Two Peas and Their Pod
Buttermilk Biscuits with Goat Cheese and Chives from Simply Recipes
Flaky Biscuits with Cheddar and Ham from Good Life Eats