Last week we had our friends over for dinner. Josh made Grilled Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin and I was in charge of dessert. I love being in charge, especially when dessert is involved:) I was tempted to bake cookies because you can never go wrong with cookies, but I decided to mix things up. We bought a big bag of cherries from the market so I made a Cherry Almond Cake.
I love fresh cherries, minus the pits. You would think with all of the cooking and baking we do we would own a cherry pitter. Nope! I think it is the one gadget we don’t have. So my hands got nice and red while making this cake. Oh well, it was worth it, but buying a cherry pitter is on my to do list:)
The buttermilk cake is tender with juicy cherries and an almond streusel topping. I also added an almond glaze and toasted almonds to finish off the cake. The cake is pretty to serve and delicious to eat. I was very pleased with my cake and so were our guests.
This Cherry Almond Cake makes a great dessert, but I can also see myself serving and eating it for breakfast or brunch. Cake in the morning is always a good idea:) Go find some fresh cherries…and a cherry pitter and make this Cherry Almond Cake.
Cherry Almond Cake
For the cake:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cherries stemmed, pitted and halved
To make the Almond Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond paste crumbled
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- Pinch of salt
To make the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan or pie plate. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Arrange cherries on top of batter.
- To make the almond streusel topping-in a small bowl combine flour, brown sugar, almond paste, butter, and salt. Mix together with your fingers until crumbly. Top the cake with streusel topping.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan. T
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, almond extract, and just enough of the milk to make a pourable glaze. Drizzle over the cake and garnish with toasted almond slices, if using.
- Cut the cake and serve.
- Note-the cake will keep up to 2 days, stored in an air-tight container on the counter.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod