Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies-chocolate cookies with chocolate chips, peppermint crunch pieces, and candy cane pieces! These cookies are the PERFECT Christmas cookie!
We put up our Christmas tree and did some holiday baking over the weekend. I let the boys pick what cookies they wanted to make and they chose Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies. These cookies are the perfect holiday cookie. A batch of these cookies will get you in the holiday spirit ASAP. You need to add them to your holiday baking list right now.
Chocolate and mint is a popular combo, especially during the holiday months. The chocolate and peppermint combo in these cookies is perfection. I add a little peppermint extract to the chocolate cookie dough and mix in chocolate chips and peppermint crunch pieces.
I also dip the dough lightly in crushed candy cane pieces. Caleb and Maxwell love candy canes and had a fun time crushing them up for these cookies.
Important note-don’t go crazy with the candy canes because they will melt. I dip just the tops of the cookie dough balls. If you want to make the cookies extra pretty, you can add extra candy cane pieces right after they come out of the oven. And it is ok if the candy canes melt a little, you just don’t want to roll the entire cookie balls in candy canes because you will end up with a melted mess. Just dip the tops and finish with candy cane pieces.
If you are looking for a cookie to take to your Christmas cookie exchange party or a cookie to give to your family and friends this holiday season, I highly recommend these Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies. They are festive and are guaranteed to be everyone’s new favorite holiday cookie. Happy baking!
The recipe, photos, and post have been updated from the original post in 2009.
Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peppermint crunch pieces
- 1/2 cup crushed candies for dipping cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, sea salt, and cocoa. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time. Next, add in vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Mix until just combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips and peppermint crunch pieces.
- Place the crushed candy canes in a small bowl. Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons and lightly dip the tops of the cookies into candy cane pieces. Make sure you don’t get carried away. You only want the tops to have the candy cane pieces. If you roll the whole cookies in the candy canes you will end up with a melted mess.
- Place cookie balls on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 10 minutes, or until cookies are set, but still soft in the center. Don’t overbake. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 3 minutes. If desired, add extra candy cane pieces right after they come out of the oven to make the cookies extra pretty. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Note-store cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days. They also can be frozen. If you can’t find the Andes peppermint crunch baking chips, you can buy the Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins and chop them up. If you can’t find candy canes, you can crush up peppermint candies. Important note-don’t go crazy with the candy canes because they will melt. I dip just the tops of the cookie dough balls. If you want to make the cookies extra pretty, you can add extra candy cane pieces right after they come out of the oven.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod