Corn Chowder – This amazing corn chowder soup is loaded with vegetables – onion, celery, carrot, red pepper, Yukon Gold potatoes, poblano pepper, and of course sweet corn.
First of all, thanks to everyone for your well wishes on our new baby! If you missed the announcement, you can catch up on our little pea here. We are all doing well and are smitten by our little baby boy.
Market Fresh Corn Chowder
Utah’s farmer’s markets are still going strong. We went to the market over the weekend and picked up a bunch of fresh produce to make a few meals. We used our fresh sweet corn to make a big pot of Corn Chowder. It is the perfect recipe to transition into fall.
Corn Chowder Tip
We were able to use fresh summer produce to make a comforting corn chowder soup. The soup was loaded with vegetables-onion, celery, carrot, red pepper, Yukon Gold potatoes, poblano pepper, and of course sweet corn. We removed the corn kernels from the fresh ears of sweet corn but didn’t discard the empty cobs.
- Tip: We placed the cobs in the pot with the rest of the vegetables and let the soup simmer away. The cobs added a little extra flavor!
If you can’t find fresh sweet corn, you can use frozen corn or canned corn. The chowder will still be tasty:)
Chowder and Biscuits
This vegetarian corn chowder is creamy, thick, and filling. We made homemade buttermilk biscuits to go with the chowder. They were the perfect addition to this comforting and delicious meal. Josh topped his bowl off with shredded cheddar cheese, which made the corn chowder even more creamy and rich. If you are looking for a hearty fall meal, give this easy corn chowder soup a try.
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 3 tablespoons minced poblano pepper
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 ears sweet corn, kernels removed-save the empty cobs to put back in the pot (or 2 cups frozen or canned corn)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese-optional, for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, red pepper, poblano pepper, and potatoes. Add the vegetable broth and empty cobs of corn, if using, and cook until vegetables are tender. This will take about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and milk. Pour mixture into the soup pot. Stir. Add in the corn kernels, thyme, salt, and pepper. Let the soup simmer for 20-30 minutes on the stove.
- Remove empty cobs of corn, if using, and ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with cheddar cheese, if desired.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Corn Chowder, you might also like:
- Corn Chowder with Chilies from The Pioneer Woman
- Corn and Chicken Chowder from Buns In My Oven
- Coconut Corn Chowder from My Kitchen Addiction