Christmas is less than a week away. How did that happen? We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of my family. I do have a house to clean and there is always more baking to do, so hopefully the week will go by quickly. I love baking with fresh cranberries during the holiday season. I always make Fresh Cranberry Scones, but this year I also tried a new recipe-Cranberry Coffee Cake.
The fresh cranberries add a pop of color and tartness to the sweet cake. I added in a little orange zest to compliment the cranberries. Cranberry and orange always go well together. We love streusel anything at our house, so I had to add streusel to the middle and top of the cake. The streusel melts inside of the cake creating a sweet tunnel of yum! The streusel topping gives the cake a slight sweet crunch. Be prepared for streusel heaven!
If you have company coming, make this Cranberry Coffee Cake. It is good anytime of the day-for breakfast, brunch, tea time, or dessert. It is a nice festive cake to have around. Make your guests feel at home by letting them help themselves to a slice of Cranberry Coffee Cake. They may never leave:)
Thanks to everyone who has been participating in our holiday giveaways. Today is the last one! I know, sad..but today’s Kitchenaid 7-quart Mixer should cheer you up:) For details and to enter, visit this post. Good luck!
Cranberry Coffee Cake
For the coffee cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
For the streusel:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set dry ingredients aside.
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beat until smooth. Beat in the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in the fresh cranberries.
- To make the streusel topping and filling, place the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon. Work the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until evenly distributed.
- Pour half of the coffee cake batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with half of the streusel topping/filling. Spoon the remaining batter over the filling, spreading gently. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Cool to room temperature and serve.
If you like this Cranberry Coffee Cake, you might also like: