We hope you all enjoyed your holiday weekend. We woke up to snow in our yard on Memorial Day so we didn’t get to enjoy the outdoors. Instead, we watched movies and I did some baking. For dessert, I made a Double Chocolate Loaf Cake. We served it with whipped cream and strawberries to create chocolate strawberry shortcake. It was heavenly!
The double chocolate loaf cake was easy to make. The cake batter has a double dose of chocolate, cocoa powder and chocolate chunks. It didn’t take long for our house to smell like chocolate. I had a hard time waiting for the cake to bake and cool. The smell was torturous. I couldn’t wait to taste it.
The chocolate loaf cake is incredibly moist and extremely decadent. We topped thick cake slices with whipped cream and strawberries. It was the perfect finish to this rich, chocolaty cake. The cake would also be good with a dusting of powdered sugar and a glass of cold milk or scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you are a chocolate fan, you have to make this Double Chocolate Loaf Cake. It is a chocolate lover’s dream!
Double Chocolate Loaf
- 1 9x5 loaf
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces good-quality dark chocolate 60-72%, coarsely chopped
- Whipped cream and strawberries for serving, if desired
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and position the rack in the center. Butter a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan, dust it with flour, and knock out the excess flour.
2. Place the brown sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Press out any lumps with the back of a large spoon. Add the cocoa, flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk until blended, then add the buttermilk,oil, and vanilla; whisk until combined. Turn the mixer to low and slowly stream the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing just until combined. Stir in the dark chocolate chunks by hand.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Slice the cake and serve with whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.
If you like this Double Chocolate Loaf, you might also like: