Chocolate Muffins- Super moist chocolate muffins made with cocoa powder and LOTS of chocolate chips! Enjoy these rich and decadent muffins for breakfast or dessert!
Chocolate muffins are an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast. They are basically cake in a muffin tin, BUT they are called muffins so that means they are totally acceptable for breakfast! The best way to say good morning if you ask me!
This Double Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe comes from my friend Gaby’s cookbook, Eat What You Want. I want to make all of the recipes in the book, but I had to start with the chocolate muffins. They were calling my name!
If you like Costco’s GIANT chocolate muffins, you will LOVE this chocolate muffin recipe. They are easy to make at home and loaded with chocolate.
The muffins are moist, tender, and the perfect breakfast or anytime. Chocolate lovers will go crazy for these muffins! Enjoy for breakfast, dessert, or a sweet snack!
Table of Contents
The ingredients are simple, which is kind of dangerous, I might be making these on a weekly basis. To make the muffins, you will need:
- All-purpose flour– spoon and level!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder– to give the muffins a rich chocolate flavor!
- Baking powder and baking soda– you need both!
- Salt– to enhance all of the flavors.
- Hot water– bring water to a boil and then use!
- Granulated sugar– to sweeten the muffins.
- Vegetable oil– to keep the muffins moist!
- Eggs and an egg yolk– the extra egg yolk keeps the muffins rich and moist.
- Vanilla extract– use pure vanilla extract.
- Sour cream– use full fat sour cream for best results. You can also use Greek yogurt.
- Chocolate chips – I like to use semi-sweet chips, but dark or milk will work too! Guittard is my favorite brand.
How to Make Chocolate Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin or jumbo 6-cup muffin tin with paper liners. I made standard muffins so I could eat two instead of one…ha!
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, ¼ cup of the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup cocoa powder and the hot water until smooth. The hot water and cocoa mixture is going to make the muffins super moist and fudgy! YES!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and yolk, and the vanilla on medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the cocoa powder mixture and beat until smooth.
- In three additions, add the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 2 cups of the chocolate chips. Beat until just combined, making sure you don’t over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips. They make the muffins extra pretty and more chocolate is always a good idea!
- Bake in the center of the oven until the muffins have risen above the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes for standard muffins, and 40 for jumbo.
- Use high quality cocoa powder and chocolate chips for the best chocolate flavor.
- Use full fat sour cream for super rich chocolate muffins. If you don’t have sour cream, you can use plain Greek yogurt.
- You can use vegetable oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, or melted coconut oil.
- If you want to intensify the chocolate flavor, you can use hot coffee instead of hot water.
- Don’t over mix the muffin batter or you will end up with tough muffins and you don’t want that!
- Don’t over bake the muffins or the muffins will be dry. If it is your first time making the recipe, I recommend checking the muffins at 20 minutes to be safe because every oven is different.
How to Store
Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Let the muffins cool slightly before removing from the tin. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Store cooled muffins in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days.
You can also freeze the muffins. Place cooled muffins in a freezer container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to two months. Defrost before enjoying. You can reheat the muffins in the microwave if you want the chocolate to get a little melty, which I recommend:)
More Muffin Recipes
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Strawberry Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Raspberry Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins
- Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin or jumbo 6-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, ¼ cup of the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup cocoa powder and the hot water until smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and yolk, and the vanilla on medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the cocoa powder mixture and beat until smooth. In three additions, add the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 2 cups chocolate chips. Beat until just combined, don’t over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tin cups, filling the paper liners all the way up. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the muffins have risen above the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes for standard muffins, and 40 for jumbo.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before removing the muffins from the pan. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod