Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies with White Chocolate Filling-soft gingersnap cookies filled with white chocolate buttercream frosting. These cookies are perfect for Christmas time.
My soft gingersnap cookies are one of my all time favorite Christmas cookies. I make multiple batches every December, a few batches for friends and a few batches for us to enjoy.
This year, I mixed things up by making Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies with White Chocolate Filling. I used my favorite gingersnap cookie recipe, but created a sandwich cookie by adding white chocolate buttercream between two cookies. My favorite cookies just got better! Two cookies are always better than one!
The gingersnap cookies are soft, chewy, and perfectly spiced. They are good on their own, but I was in an indulgent mood so I got out the white chocolate and butter and made a creamy white chocolate filling.
I could eat this white chocolate buttercream by the spoonful. It is SO good! Ok, you caught me, I did eat a few spoonfuls, but only because I wanted to make sure it was worthy of being added to my favorite gingersnap cookies. It is perfection!!!
I piped the white chocolate filling between two soft gingersnaps and voila, sandwich cookies!
I am sooooooo in love with these cookies. The sweet white chocolate filling is a nice compliment to the spiced ginger cookies. They are the PERFECT Christmas cookies so make sure you add them to your baking list this year. They are going to be a Christmas tradition at our house! Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies with White Chocolate Filling are a holiday MUST!
Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies with White Chocolate Filling
For the gingersnap cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar-to roll the cookies in before baking
For the white chocolate buttercream:
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- With a mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Add in the molasses. Mix until the molasses is combined with the other ingredients.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Form the dough into tablespoon sized balls. Roll the dough in sugar. Place the cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet 2-inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes, don't overbake. Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for two minutes, transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the white chocolate buttercream. Place white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals until chips begin to melt, about 1 minute. Stir and repeat, heating chips about 10 seconds at a time, until thoroughly melted. Stir until chocolate is smooth and no more lumps remain. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Beat in half of the powdered sugar, melted white chocolate, vanilla and milk until mixture is smooth and creamy. Slowly beat in remaining powdered sugar until smooth; if frosting is too stiff, add in a little more milk.
- To make the sandwich cookies, spread or pipe white chocolate buttercream on the inside of one gingersnap. Top with another gingersnap. Continue making sandwich cookies. Store cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature.
- Note-you may have extra buttercream, depending on how much you add between each cookie. You can keep the leftover buttercream in the fridge for up to a week.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod