Green Chile Enchilada Quinoa Bake-this gluten-free quinoa bake will remind you of your favorite green chile enchiladas. It is easy to make and a hit with the entire family!
Once upon a time, I made this Green Chile Enchilada Quinoa Bake for dinner and and it was pretty much the ugliest meal I’ve ever made. I wasn’t going to share the recipe, but then we ate it and all decided it was one of the tastiest meals I’ve ever made. When I say we, that includes Caleb. Yep, our toddler asked for seconds and ate leftovers the next day. He even asked if we could eat the quinoa bake every night for dinner. In my book, that is a blog worthy recipe…even if the pictures aren’t pretty.
So just trust me on this one. This Green Chile Enchilada Quinoa Bake won’t win any beauty awards, but it will win the most delicious dinner award. I promise, this dish is worth making!
And if you’ve made our Black Bean Quinoa Enchilada Bake, which is one of the most popular recipes on our site, you know my quinoa bakes are the real deal. This one is just a little sore on the eyes, not on the belly though:)
This quinoa bake was inspired by two of my favorite recipes, our Black Bean Quinoa Enchilada Bake and our Creamy Spinach and Green Chile Enchiladas. I basically turned the green chile enchiladas into a quinoa bake. All of the same flavors, but casserole style! Easy peasy, comforting, and so good!
I used white beans in this quinoa bake because I was trying to make the dish match and look good, but obviously that didn’t work:) So if you prefer black beans or pinto beans, use them! Before serving, I top the quinoa bake with avocado and cilantro. It helps perk the dish up a bit and you can never go wrong with avocado!
If you are looking for a delicious dinner idea, make this Green Chile Enchilada Quinoa Bake. If you want to eat it blindfolded, I won’t be offended:) I promise it is super tasty! Just trust me on this one! And if you don’t believe me, ask Caleb. He will back me up on this one!
Green Chile Enchilada Quinoa Bake
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Total Time
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 10 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 10 oz cans green chile enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack Cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado diced, for garnish, if desired
- Extra chopped cilantro for garnish, if desired
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Add quinoa and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover quinoa and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for about 5 minutes, our until spinach shrinks down. It will shrink down a lot. Add the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
4. In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa. Add the enchilada sauce, sour cream, diced green chiles, spinach and white beans. Gently stir until combined. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
5.Pour the quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and edges are bubbling. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with avocado and cilantro, if desired. Serve warm.
Note-this recipe freezes well!
Follow us on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!