We’ve been grilling out a lot this week. It’s too hot to turn on the oven and we are enjoying sitting on our patio. We’ve been grilling up all kinds of vegetables. My new favorite vegetable to grill is cauliflower. I made Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Pesto and they are Tasty with a capital T! My kind of steak for sure!
To make the cauliflower steaks, I cut a head of cauliflower lengthwise into thick slices. I wanted the cauliflower to have a punch of flavor so I made a simple pesto to cover the steaks.
I made a vegan and nut-free pesto-no parmesan cheese and no nuts. So it’s basically a basil oil with garlic and lemon. It’s super simple to make. If you want, you can use our Spinach Basil Pesto or your favorite pesto too. Any pesto will work!
I brushed both sides of the cauliflower steaks with the pesto and put them on the grill. I cooked them on both sides until they were tender, but still firm.
The results were amazing! I loved the smoky flavor from the grill and the basil pesto was the perfect pop of color and flavor. Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Pesto are the best steaks I have ever eaten. I know I am not a steak eater, but still, these babies are GOOD!
Make Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Pesto at your next BBQ or just turn on the grill and enjoy a simple summer meal tonight! You have to try these healthy cauliflower steaks! We will be grilling them up all summer long!
And head on over to Cafe Zupas for some Watermelon Cucumber Salsa! Happy weekend!
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Pesto
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 cup basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Cut the cauliflower lengthwise, including the stalk, into 3/4-inch slices. Set aside.
- 2. In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the basil, garlic, and lemon juice. Turn on the machine and pulse a few times. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor or blender is running. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Pulse again until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Brush both sides of the cauliflower steaks with pesto. Place on a grill over medium heat. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until cauliflower is tender but still firm. Serve warm.
- Note: I made a vegan pesto for this recipe, but the cauliflower steaks are also great with our Spinach Basil Pesto. You can also use store bought pesto if you wish.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod