I marinated the vegetables in a balsamic, garlic, basil concoction. Josh grilled them to perfection and then I added the veggies to a bed of fresh spinach. I also added artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, feta cheese, and fresh basil. For fun, I grilled whole wheat pita bread and served little pita triangles on the side.
While we were eating I kept raving about the salad to Josh. I honestly wasn’t looking for a pat on the back, I just couldn’t believe it tasted so good:) It really took no time to make and we didn’t have to heat up the house! This is a quick, healthy, tasty salad for summer. I can’t wait to make it again.
⅓ cup Balsamic vinegar
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh basil, chopped-to taste
1 eggplant, sliced into rounds
1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
2 Roma tomatoes, halved
Roasted red peppers
Fresh basil, chopped
Whole wheat pita bread-optional
1. In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, and just a splash of water. The balsamic was too strong so I had to dilute it. You can skip the water if you like it really strong:)
2. Sprinkle the eggplant, zucchini, and tomato halves with salt and pepper. Lay them out in a dish. Pour the balsamic mixture over the vegetables. Make sure each side gets coated. Let veggies sit for 10 minutes or so.
2. Heat up the grill. Place eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes on the grill. Cook each side for a couple of minutes, until the veggies are tender with grill marks.
3. Place fresh spinach on a plate. Top with the grilled veggies, artichoke hearts, red peppers, feta cheese, and fresh basil. You can add extra balsamic dressing if you wish.
4. If you want, you can grill whole wheat pita bread and serve it on the side. I cut the bread into little triangles.