Heart Pancakes-these easy, whole wheat heart shaped pancakes are the perfect pancakes for Valentine’s Day or any day!
Valentine’s Day means that we will be able to sleep in and enjoy a nice, romantic breakfast in bed! Ha, let’s be realistic, with two crazy boys who love to wake up early, so breakfast in bed probably won’t happen, but we can make a special Valentine’s breakfast as a family!
We are going to celebrate with Heart Pancakes. The pancakes are simple to make and our boys love them! We are going to have one big pancake party!
These whole wheat heart pancakes are light, fluffy, and easy to whip up! The boys love helping us make them, mainly because they are made with yogurt, their favorite food. I like to use plain yogurt or vanilla to make the pancakes. I love that the yogurt adds protein to the hot cakes!
To make the heart shapes, we use a heart shaped cookie cutter. The hearts come out perfect every time. If you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can get artistic and make free form hearts, either way the heart pancakes will be delicious because they are made with love:)
For Valentine’s Day, we like to top the pancakes with heart shaped strawberries, a little heart shaped butter, and pure maple syrup. A breakfast filled with loooooove!
I am looking forward to Valentine’s Day so I can enjoy these cute Heart Pancakes with my favorite boys. The best way to celebrate the day of love!
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional toppings-strawberries, butter, and maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Heat a griddle or pan to medium low heat. Coat with cooking spray. Spray the inside of a heart shaped cookie cutter with cooking spray. Place the cookie cutter on the griddle or pan and fill with about ¼ cup of pancake batter. Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove cookie cutter and flip carefully with a spatula. Cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Continue making pancakes until the batter is gone.
- Serve pancakes warm with strawberries, butter, and maple syrup, if desired.
- Note-If you don’t have a heart shaped cookie cutter, you can pour or pipe the pancake batter into heart shapes. It’s ok if they aren’t perfect. These pancakes freeze well. Let them cool completely and then wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag. When ready to eat, remove from freezer and reheat in microwave or the toaster.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod