We love granola! It is great for breakfast, a healthy snack, or even sprinkled on yogurt for a sweet dessert. The only problem is a lot of the granolas out there have nuts. I personally adore nuts, but Josh is deathly allergic so I have to limit what I make with nuts.
I have been toying with a few recipes lately and finally came up with a keeper. I really just made this up on a whim. Obviously, there are no nuts and I kept out butter/oil to keep the granola healthy. My addition of honey and brown sugar helped hold everything together. I added in cinnamon and vanilla for extra flavor and of course craisins at the end to add color!
I really like this recipe and will use it again. But any suggestions? Do any of you have a favorite nut free granola recipe that is still healthy? Let me know.
Honey Cinnamon Granola
¼ cup honey
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole oats (not quick cooking kind)
¼ cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
Handful of Craisins
1. In a small pot, combine honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Heat over medium until sugar and honey are combined and smooth. Make sure to stir it a couple of times.
2. In a bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
3. Pour honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir well.
4. Pour granola onto a sheet pan that has been sprayed or has a silpat.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Make sure you stir the granola often. Maybe every 5 minutes or so.
6. Let cool on sheet pan. Stir in Craisins and enjoy.
7. Store in tight container.
Also, we received a couple of awards and we need to say THANK YOU! First of all, thanks to Cathy from Tortefeasor. She gave us the Excellent Blog Award.
And Thanks to Rosie from Rosie Bakes A Peace of Cake. She gave us the Beautiful Site Award.
Thanks for thinking of Two Peas and Their Pod!! We are honored!
We would like to pass these awards on…the Excellent Award to Liz of Liz’s Cooking Blog and the Beautiful Site Award to Cate of Fresh From Cate’s Kitchen. We enjoy reading your blogs! Keep up the good work in the kitchen!