Spring is in the air, I can just taste it. I found a beautiful bunch of asparagus at the market last week and knew I had to make a delicious recipe. I love asparagus and I am so glad it is in season-and on sale. I ended up creating this Israeli Couscous Salad with Roasted Asparagus, Artichokes, & Spinach. All of the flavors combined made a very tasty salad.
I drizzled the asparagus with a little olive oil and fresh lemon juice and roasted them until they were tender. I cut them into one-inch pieces for the salad. I added the asparagus pieces to Israeli couscous. I also stirred in artichokes and fresh spinach. I squeezed fresh lemon juice over the salad and added a tiny sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. This salad screams spring!
I made the salad for lunch and put the leftovers in the refrigerator. When Josh got home from work, he opened the fridge and started looking for a little snack. He spotted my salad and asked if he could taste it. Well, a few bites soon turned into an empty container. He devoured the salad. I am glad he loved it, but sad I didn’t have any salad left. Good thing this salad recipe is super simple to make, because I made it again the next day. I am in love!
This Israeli Couscous Salad with Roasted Asparagus, Artichokes, & Spinach is the perfect salad for Spring. It is light, refreshing, and bursting with green. Maybe I should make this for St. Patrick’s Day too? 🙂
Israeli Couscous Salad with Roasted Asparagus, Artichokes, & Spinach
- 3 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups dry Israeli Couscous
- 14 asparagus spears
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons divided
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring three cups of water to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt, stir in the Israeli couscous. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until couscous is just tender, with a slight bite, about 10 to 13 minutes. Drain into a fine mesh strainer and set aside.
- 2. While the couscous is cooking, roast the asparagus. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the asparagus spears on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and juice from ½ of one lemon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast for 10-12 minutes, or until spears are tender. Let spears cool and then cut into one-inch pieces.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine Israeli couscous, asparagus spears, artichoke hearts, and spinach. Squeeze lemon juice, from the remaining half and other lemon, over the salad. Stir well. Sprinkle salad with Parmesan cheese, if desired and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Israeli Couscous Salad with Roasted Asparagus, Artichokes, & Spinach, you might also like: