Lemon Cookies with Toasted Coconut Frosting-you might want to make a double batch because these delightful cookies always disappear quickly!
It is officially spring and I am loving the season change already. Bring on the chirping birds, green grass, tulips, and sunshine! Today we are celebrating spring with Lemon Cookies with Toasted Coconut Frosting. Lemon and coconut scream spring to me so why not have both in one delicious little cookie?
I made these cookies for a party with some dear friends and everyone asked if I would be sharing the recipe. The cookies were a hit! I am always happy to share my recipes, especially my cookie recipes. Cookies make me happy and I like to think sharing cookies and cookie recipes spread happiness, making the world a better place. I try to do my part:)
When life gives you a beautiful bowl of lemons, make cookies! 🙂 Lemonade might be the obvious choice, but my mind is always thinking about cookies:)
The lemon cookies are soft, tender, and bursting with lemon flavor.
The lemon cookies would be just fine on there own, but I made them extra special by covering them with toasted coconut frosting. Lemon and coconut are a match made in heaven!
Josh was kind of bummed I took these Lemon Cookies with Toasted Coconut Frosting to the party because I limited his intake. I let him have two cookies, but two cookies didn’t do it for him. He wanted a dozen! I don’t blame him, these cookies are divine!
I guess I will make another batch of Lemon Cookies with Toasted Coconut Frosting for Josh to enjoy! And maybe I will have one or two too:)
Lemon Cookies with Toasted Coconut Frosting
For the Lemon Cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the Toasted Coconut Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk or regular milk
- 1 cup toasted coconut for sprinkling on cookies
- Preheat the oven to 35o degrees F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
- Beat butter and sugar/lemon mixture together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, and fresh lemon juice. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended. Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are just set and slightly golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooking racks. Cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the Toasted Coconut Frosting. In a standing mixer, mix together butter and sugar. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes. Add coconut extract and coconut milk. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute or until frosting is smooth and creamy. You may need to add a little more sugar or coconut milk, depending on your desired consistency.
- Frost the cooled cookies with the coconut frosting. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of each frosted cookies.
- Note-store cookies in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 2 days.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
So pretty! Perfect Easter cookies. nom!
These are So pretty Maria! I love coconut and lemon, especially in a cookie/frosting form! You can never go wrong! Pinned
Lemon and coconut make me happy. These do feel like Spring and I bet they are delicious!
Perfect for spring! These look delicious, I love lemon and coconut together 🙂
Sounds delicious! Did you toast the coconut in the oven to get a “toasted” flavor?
How long in the oven?
Yes, toast the coconut in the oven. Spread it out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 7-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir once while baking.
Mmm these sound lovely! I especially love that frosting.
Poor Josh, taking these beauties away from him! 🙂 The world is better with this recipe out there now 🙂
These look so good!! Love lemon!
These look heavenly!
Mmmmm….these look amazing, Maria! Coconut and lemon are total besties!
yay!! we actually have chirping birds (a symphony!) outside today and daffodils are up and in full bloom! the only thing I need are a big old batch of these cookies!
So perfect for spring!
These cookies look absolutely delightful!
Love the lemon and coconut!!
I’ve never had lemon+coconut together. I guess I need to change that!
What delicate looking cookies, love this combination of lemon and coconut.
I would be bummed if you left with only two as well. But hey, that means another batch is coming soon. 🙂
Love that toasted coconut on top!!
I can attest how awesome these were. Can’t wait to make them!
It might be 30 degrees outside (still!) but these cookies definitely make it feel like spring!
Love all treats lemon! These look fabulous and maybe old man winter will smell the spring baking 🙂
I’m so excited for this spring into spring, too! What a way to celebrate the new season. Coconut is my favorite 🙂
These are beauties!! Toasted coconut is my favorite ingredient right now!
These are the perfect spring cookie, love the coconut frosting!
These would not last long in my house! Yum!
Lemon and coconut is a fabulous combo for cookies!
Perfect spring cookies!
Wow! I love everything about these bright, vibrant cookies. Mmm, lemon!
The lemon cookies look so delicious! I can almost smell them! And with coconut – it’s a perfect combo.
These look so wonderfully spring-y!
Lemon always reminds me of spring! Those cookies looks very delicious!
What a perfect cookie for spring! I’d rather make cookies than lemonade with lemons. Good choice!
These cookies are sure to brighten any day! Lemon and coconut are such a great combo. I’m loving spring too – I just wish it would get a little springier;)
Just saw this recipe this morning and making these for Easter brunch!
Hiya! I’m making these today for a wedding reception. I’m wondering if I messed them up… the consistency is a little like a tea biscuit. Is that right?
They are delicious nonetheless! Just curious.