Mushroom Fontina Flatbread with Crispy Sage
Mushroom Fontina Flatbread with Crispy Sage-this cheesy flatbread is full of flavor and great served as an appetizer or simple meal.
It’s December and that means it’s about to crazy up in here. I am talking about Christmas shopping, addressing Christmas cards, baking the day away, holiday parties, and decorating the tree. December is a BUSY month, but a fun one!
And before I go Christmas cookie crazy on you, I have a lot of fun recipes up my sleeves, I want to share my favorite savory recipe that is perfect for the holidays. This easy Mushroom Fontina Flatbread with Crispy Sage makes a great easy meal or can be served as an appetizer at all of your holiday parties.
To keep this recipe easy peasy, I use store bought flatbread. It is a life saver.
I top the flatbread with garlic olive oil, sautéed mushrooms, onions, and my favorite Arla Dofino Fontina cheese. Arla’s Fontina is a Danish Style Fontina which is aged less, so it becomes semi-soft and is much milder than Italian Fontina. The mild, creamy, and buttery cheese is SO good when it’s melted on top of the flatbread.
When the cheesy flatbread comes out of the oven I top it with crispy sage leaves! Oh, yeah! They are the perfect finishing touch!
Make time to make this Mushroom Fontina Flatbread with Crispy Sage during all of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. It is a great recipe for easy entertaining or for a quick meal. And it will help balance out all of those cookies:) Enjoy!
Mushroom Fontina Flatbread
This simple flatbread is great served as an appetizer or for a quick and easy meal!
Yield: 2 flatbreads
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
For the flatbread:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 oz Arla Dofino® Fontina cheese, shredded
- 2 store bought flatbreads or Naan breads
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the crispy sage leaves:
- Olive oil, about 1/4 cup
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl or ramekin, combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil with the minced garlic. Stir and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the flatbreads on a large baking sheet. Brush with the garlic olive oil. Top with shredded cheese, mushrooms, and onions. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place baking sheet in preheated oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 12 minutes.
- While the flatbreads are baking, make the crispy sage leaves. Heat about 1/4 cup of olive oil in small skillet. When hot, carefully drop a couple of sage leaves in the hot oil. Cook for 5-10 seconds and remove from the pan with tongs. Place on a paper towel. Continue frying the sage leaves in batches. They will crisp up quickly, so make sure you watch them closely.
- Place the crispy sage leaves on top of the flatbreads. Cut into pieces and serve warm.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
Disclosure-this post is in partnership with Arla Dofino, but our opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands that continue to make Two Peas and Their Pod possible.