It’s been a dreary week in Utah. It’s been raining every day and we even got some snow. Yesterday I was in need of some major comfort food so I made Orecchiette with Slow Roasted Tomatoes and Artichokes. Pasta always hits the spot, especially on a cold, rainy day.
First, I slow roasted a pan of grape tomatoes. I knew they would make a delicious pasta sauce. If you haven’t tried slow roasted tomatoes, you must. They are so easy to make. The oven does all of the work, you just have to be a little patient. The tomatoes take about 3 hours to roast.
When the tomatoes were done roasting, I cooked the orecchiette and made the sauce. The sauce is simple, but full of flavor. I started with a little olive oil, added in roasted garlic, the slow roasted tomatoes, artichokes, and freshly chopped basil. I topped the pasta dish off with Parmesan cheese and served it with crusty bread. I was in carb heaven!
I loved everything about this pasta dish. I know I will be making it again when the summer tomatoes are ripe and ready. I hope you will enjoy Orecchiette with Slow Roasted and Tomatoes & Artichokes too. It is a simple, fresh, flavorful, and healthy!
I really hope this weather clears up because tomorrow we are teaming up with Bush’s Grillin’ Beans to host a fun and tasty cookout. Josh, the grill master, will be grilling up Fajita Chicken to go with Bush’s Black Bean Fiesta Grillin’ Beans. Stay tuned because we will be sharing our recipe next week and we also have a fantastic cookout kit to giveaway. You don’t want to miss out on this one! Have a great weekend everyone!
Orecchiette with Slow Roasted Tomatoes & Artichokes
- For the slow roasted tomatoes:
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic unpeeled
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta I used whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic chopped (I used the roasted garlic from the slow roasted tomatoes)
- 2 cups artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to garnish the pasta dish
- 1. First slow roast the tomatoes. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Cut the tomatoes in half and place on the prepared baking sheet. Place the cloves of garlic on the baking sheet with the tomatoes. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake the tomatoes for about 3 hours, depending on their size.
- 2. Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the oreccchiette pasta until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- 3. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until tender. Stir in slow roasted tomatoes and artichoke hearts. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in freshly chopped basil and season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Carefully drain the pasta. Combine pasta and sauce in a large bowl. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Orecchiette with Slow Roasted Tomatoes and Artichokes, you might also like:
Orecchiette with Broccoli and Pancetta from The Amateur Gourmet
Orecchiette with Chicken Sausage and Broccoli Rabe from Gina’s Skinny Recipes
Rapini with Orecchiette and White Beans from The Kitchn