Today is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day! PB & J was one of my favorite sandwiches as a kid and it still is. Whole wheat bread, creamy peanut butter, and sweet jelly or jam-classic comfort food! I never get tired of a good PB & J. To celebrate this fine holiday, I will be eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, but I also made you a special treat, a Peanut Butter and Jelly Coffee Cake. This cake tastes like a PB & J sandwich, but in cake form. Oh yeah!
This cake is easy to make and I bet you have all of the ingredients in your kitchen. There is peanut butter in the cake and in the peanut butter streusel topping. I used creamy peanut butter to make the cake and crunchy peanut butter for the streusel topping because I wanted a little extra crunch. This cake is meant for peanut butter fanatics-like myself:)
The cake is tender and moist with a sweet tunnel of jelly in the middle. I used grape jelly to stick with tradition, but use whatever jelly or jam you like. The cake tastes just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but in dessert form. The peanut butter streusel topping is out of this world and adds a nice crunch to the cake.
Since this is a coffee cake it is perfectly acceptable to have a big fat slice for breakfast. And since it is a PB & J cake it is also perfectly acceptable to eat it for lunch:) Wash it down with a cold glass of milk and you are set!
This Peanut Butter and Jelly Coffee Cake is the perfect way to celebrate National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day! Grab a jar of peanut butter and your favorite jelly and get baking!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Coffee Cake
If you like Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, you will love this PB & J coffee cake!
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup grape jelly or jelly of your choice
- For the Peanut Butter Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. First, make the peanut butter streusel topping. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar. Mix with a spoon until there are no big brown sugar clumps. Add the peanut butter and melted butter, stirring until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the peanut butter and butter until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar mix until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Turn the mixer to low and alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Don't over mix, beat until just combined.
4. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Spoon grape jelly evenly over the cake. Take a toothpick and gently swirl in the jelly. Sprinkle the peanut butter streusel over the cake. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a wire cooling rack and cool completely. Slice and serve!
Note: I used grape jelly, but you can use your favorite flavor of jelly or jam! Enjoy!
If you like this Peanut Butter and Jelly Coffee Cake, you might also like:
- Peanut Butter Bundt Cake with Jelly Glaze from Dine and Dish
- Mini Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Cheesecakes from The Sweets Life
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies from Pip & Ebby
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from My Baking Addiction