On the 4th of July, our neighbors invited us on their family hike to Willow Lake. Every year they go on the same hike to celebrate the 4th. We were thrilled when they invited us to join them. It isn’t a long hike, but a beautiful one. They told us we didn’t need to bring anything, but I baked pie plate chocolate chip toffee cookies to share with the group.
We had perfect weather for the hike-clear blue skies, sunshine, and a nice cool breeze. The Utah mountains are abnormally green this summer. We passed through meadows of lush green plants and trees. There were also bursts of color from various wildflowers growing along the hiking trail. It was nice to soak in mother nature’s tremendous beauty.
When we passed the lake, we found a nice little spot to have a picnic lunch. We brought fruit, sandwiches, crackers and hummus, the usual picnic fare, but our friends made hot mac n’ cheese and noodles with their camping cooking equipment. I was impressed. Who said you couldn’t have a hot meal on top of a mountain? I don’t camp, so I guess I’m not aware of the possibilities:) When we finished eating lunch, I passed around the pie plate chocolate chip toffee cookies. Everyone grabbed one with a smile.
These pie plate cookies are simple to make. The cookie dough gets pressed into a pie plate, you don’t have to bother scooping out individual cookies. I cut the cookies into wedges and packed them in a tupperware for our hike. They travel well and everyone loves chocolate chip and toffee-especially in cookie form. These pie plate cookies were the perfect sweet ending to our hike.
Today is the last day to vote for Two Peas and Their Pod for the Tastiest Blog Award. To vote, visit the BlogLuxe Awards voting page today! Thanks everyone!
The winner of the Feta Giveaway is Becca H who said her favorite feta salad is: “Feta with beets and orzo. So good with olive oil and lemon juice.” Please email us your mailing address and we will get you your prize. We will have another giveaway on Friday, so come on back! Also, check out this fantastic summer vegetable feta salad recipe from Coconut and Lime. Another great feta salad recipe!
Don’t miss a post, subscribe to Two Peas and Their Pod today!
Pie Plate Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookies
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until blended. Set aside.
- 3. In the bowl of a standard mixer, add the butter and brown sugar. Beat with the paddle attachment until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract, beat until blended.
- 4. On low, slowly add the flour mixture. Mix just until the flour is incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and toffee. Mix until just combined.
- 5. Scrape the dough into the prepared pie plate. Spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle additional toffee over the dough.
- 6. Bake for 27-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- 7. Cut cookies into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
- *Note-feel free to try other mix ins-butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, M&M's etc. These pie plate cookies are also great with ice cream.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these pie plate chocolate chip toffee cookies, you might also like: