The weather has been so nice this weekend. It is finally starting to feel like Spring. Yesterday I went for a nice run outside and Josh worked on our yard the entire day. He is prepping our backyard for a big garden. I can’t wait to grow our own vegetables and herbs. This is our first Spring as home owners. We really don’t know what we are doing when it comes to gardening, but we are hoping to acquire at least one green thumb:)
Lemon Angel Food Cupcakes
Light and fluffy angel food cupcakes with a hint of lemon.
- 12 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar divided
- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
- 5 large egg whites room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- Lemon Glaze optional
- Confectioner's Sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, sift together cake flour and 1/4 cup superfine sugar.
3. In a large bowl, beat room-temperature egg whites until foamy, then add in cream of tartar and salt. Gradually add in the remaining 1/2 cup of superfine sugar while the mixer is on high speed, beating the egg whites to soft peaks.With a rubber spatula add in the vanilla and lemon zest, do this very gently!
4. Fold in flour mixture, adding it in two or three additions.
5. Divide evenly into prepared muffin tins. Fill them pretty full.
6. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown. The tops will spring back when lightly touched.
7. Cool on a wire rack.
To make the lemon glaze:
Combine confectioners sugar with lemon juice. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle on top of cooled cupcakes.