I had a bunch of lemons I needed to use so I came up with a new cookie recipe. I am calling these lemon drop cookies! Do they still make lemon drop candy??? I haven’t had one in years! Anyways, these cookies remind me of lemon drops!! They are similar to my lime coconut snowballs, but obviously there is no lime or coconut…so maybe they aren’t that similar:)
I love that these cookies are bite size and full of lemon flavor. I used a lot of zest, fresh lemon juice, and they even got drizzled with a lemon glaze. You can never have too much lemon if you ask me. The more I pucker up, the better:)
I think these cookies would be perfect for a party! They are elegant and bite size…and really easy to make! You can make the dough ahead of time if you wish…and they also tasted great for a couple of days!
If you are a lemon lover like me, try these cookies. They are LEMONICIOUS!
Lemon Drop Cookies
Lemon Drop Cookies are refreshing and the perfect cookie for Spring. I love making them for baby showers and/or bridal showers.
- 2 dozen cookies
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon 2 if they are small
- Juice of 1/2 lemon about 2 Tbsp
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- Juice of about 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and whisk to combine, set aside.
3. In bowl of stand mixer, combine butter and powdered sugar. Beat on medium until creamy and smooth.In a small bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together. Add to the butter mixture. Blend until smooth. Add the lemon juice and beat until well combined.
4. Turn mixer to low, and slowly add in the dry ingredients.
5. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and mix until flour mixture is combined. Chill the dough for about 30 minutes. You can chill the dough overnight.
6. Roll the cookie dough into little balls, about a Tablespoon or so of dough per cookie. Place the cookies on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
7. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Take them out when the bottoms are very slightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheets. Transfer to a cooling rack.
8. To make the glaze-mix powdered sugar and lemon juice together with a whisk. Whisk until smooth.
9. Dip the tops of the cookies into the glaze. Let sit until glaze is hard.