I’ve always loved celebrating birthdays. Of course I love my own special day, but I enjoy celebrating anyone and everyone’s birthday. I think birthday celebrations should last for the entire month too. Josh’s birthday was last weekend, we already had the party, cake, presents, etc. but I am not done yet!
I made Josh another birthday treat. This time it was all about lime, his favorite! I found a great recipe for Lime Bars on Evil Shenanigans. I knew the bars would be a hit with the hubs and I was correct.
I loved the graham cracker crust with lime zest. It gave the bars an added zing:) The lime filling was very creamy and very tart. I used fat free sweetened condensed milk and the filling was plenty rich and plenty sweet. This is not a healthy dessert, it’s still loaded with sugar and butter in the crust, but why not use fat free if the results are amazing?
Joshua really enjoyed his special birthday bars. I know he will be asking for these again!
- For the crust:
- 1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- zest of one lime
- For the filling:
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1-14 oz. can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup lime juice
- Heat the oven to 350F, then grease an 8″ square pan. I used my Pyrex glass dish.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and zest. Press into the prepared pan, pressing the crust mixture one inch up the side of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Once the crust is cooled combine the egg yolks and condensed milk until well mixed. Stir in the lime juice and combine. It will begin to thicken slightly.
- Pour the filling into the crust, making sure the filling reaches the edges. Bake for 15 minutes, or until just set.
- Cool to room temperature, then chill for at least one hour, overnight is better. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod