Today for Fall Friday, we are sharing a pizza and pasta recipe. I made Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Fresh Rosemary. Gaby created a festive squid ink pasta dish with tomatoes, I can’t wait to try it.
When I told Josh my pizza idea, he turned up his nose. He thought butternut squash pizza sounded weird and not too tasty. I know it is not your traditional pizza, but I still wanted to try it, so I pressed forward. Josh wasn’t thrilled, but still helped out. He made whole wheat pizza crust while I worked on the toppings.
I diced up a butternut squash and roasted it in the oven. I also caramelized red onion slices. I love the little tricks you can do in the kitchen to maximize flavor. Roasting and caramelizing made the squash and onions so flavorful. I didn’t use a sauce, I just drizzled the crust with olive oil. I also topped the pizza with garlic, fresh rosemary, feta, and mozzarella cheese.
When the pizza was cooking, I knew it was going to be a winner. Our house was filled with the most amazing aroma. We didn’t let it cool for long, I was too excited to wait. Josh was still skeptical, but after the first bite, he said no more. He loved it and so did I. We splashed on a little balsamic vinegar and it was the perfect finishing touch. All of the flavors worked so well together. This is the perfect fall pizza.
Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Fresh Rosemary
Roasted Butternut Squash
Caramelized Red Onion Slices
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Fresh rosemary, chopped
2. Caramelize the onions. See this post from Simply Recipes for directions.
3. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees, or as hot as it will go, with a pizza stone inside.
4. Make your pizza dough. We used our favorite whole wheat crust. You can use store bought crust if you wish.
5. Roll out your pizza crust. We sprinkle our pizza peel with corn meal and make the pizza on the peel. Drizzle the crust with a little bit of olive oil and spread it around the crust.
6. Add the garlic, butternut squash, onions, cheese, and rosemary.
7. Slide the pizza onto the stone that is in the hot oven.
8. Cook the pizza for about 12-15 minutes. Just watch it. You want the cheese to be melted and the crust to be golden brown.
9. Cool and slice. Sprinkle balsamic vinegar on slices of pizza if you wish.