My dear friend, Carrie Vitt, just came out with a fabulous cookbook, Deliciously Organic. I’ve only had it for a few weeks, but it is already one of my favorites. It is filled with healthy and wholesome recipes that are simple to prepare. The book includes recipes for breakfast/brunch, salads, entrees, and yes, even desserts! Today, I am sharing Carrie’s Roasted Red Onion and Pear Salad recipe, which is definitely delicious.
In the book, Carrie shares that she won the grand prize award in a Cooks Country magazine contest for this salad recipe. I can easily see why, it is for sure a winner. I love all of the ingredients in this salad, but the roasted red onion really makes this salad special. Roasting the onion brings out the best flavor and I love the splash of color the deep purple onion adds. The dressing is light, refreshing, and has a nice citrus kick. This salad is also fun to put together. After lining the plates with Bibb lettuce, you add the spinach that has been tossed with dressing, roasted onion, pear, goat cheese, and dried cranberries. This salad has it all!
This Roasted Red Onion and Pear Salad is perfect for a light lunch or starter to any meal. Make sure you check out Deliciously Organic for a complete collection of healthy, flavorful, and delicious recipes. And you might want to get two copies, one for the kitchen and one to set on your coffee table. Helene Dujardin, who blogs at Tartelette, photographed Carrie’s book and did an amazing job. I have never seen food look so stunning. The pictures in this book are breathtaking and will make you look at food in a completely different way. The stories, recipes, and photos in Deliciously Organic are very moving.
Roasted Red Onion and Pear Salad
- 1 medium red onion cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head Bibb or butter lettuce
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 ripe Bartlett pear cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and adjust oven rack to middle position.
2. Toss onion wedges with coconut oil. Transfer to baking sheet and roast until brown and soft, about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Cool for 15 minutes.
3. Whisk orange and lemon juices, mustard, honey, thyme, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil.
4. Divide Bibb lettuce leaves among individual salad plates. Toss spinach with 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl. Divide spinach among plates. Arrange roasted onion, pear, goat cheese, and cranberries on top. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.