Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup-a healthy and hearty soup that is made in the slow cooker!
A few weeks ago we asked in one of our This and That posts if you wanted more slow cooker recipes. Well, the answer was a big fat YES! So we busted out our slow cooker and created a few recipes for you. Last week we shared a recipe for Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup and today we are sharing a recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup! We are going slow cooker crazy:)
I’ll be honest, I’ve never been a slow cooker fan. I don’t know why. I love the idea of throwing everything in the slow cooker and walking away. I guess I was just too lazy to get it out. Now that’s it out, we can’t stop. We are loving our slow cooker!
Josh actually created this recipe. He doesn’t think I give him enough credit on the blog, so just so you all know, this is Josh’s recipe:) He loves Chicken and Wild Rice Soup and decided to try it in the slow cooker since we both had crazy busy days. Neither of us wanted to fuss with dinner.
He threw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it do the work! We worked all day while the slow cooker made our dinner!
The soup has onion, garlic, carrots, celery, chicken, wild rice, broth, thyme, and parsley. We used carrots from our own garden too! Aren’t they cute? This soup is perfect for a cold day and is a great soup for when you are feeling under the weather.
We shared our Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with our friends who just had a baby. They needed a good home cooked meal. Just don’t tell them that we didn’t do the cooking, our slow cooker did:) The slow cooker worked as our personal chef for the day!
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is healthy, comforting, and delicious! And the best part? It’s SO easy to make! Pull out your slow cooker and make this soup for dinner tonight!
And do you see those biscuits in the background? We will be sharing a killer biscuit recipe on Wednesday so make sure you come back! They are SO good with this soup!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2 pounds
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine onion, carrots, celery, garlic, wild rice, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper. Top with chicken breast halves. Add the chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low heat setting for 6 to 6 ½ hours or on high-heat setting about 3 ½ hours. Carefully remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir. Remove the bay leaves. Add the parsley and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod