This Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potato Salad is full of flavor and perfect for your next BBQ, picnic, or everyday dinner!
We are at my dad’s house in Illinois this week. I am ready for some R&R in the pool and my dad’s cinnamon rolls🙂 The perfect vacation! Don’t worry, just because we are on vacation doesn’t mean we won’t be sharing tasty recipes. We planned ahead to make sure you are well taken care of. Plus, I couldn’t wait to share this Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potato Salad. I want to eat it every single day of my life.
Sweet potatoes are in my top 5 favorite foods of all time. Watermelon, gnocchi, avocados, and cookies are also on that list. My list may change from time to time, but sweet potatoes (and cookies) never leave the list. Sweet potatoes always hit the spot!
We have been giving our grill a killer workout this summer. Grilling is easy, doesn’t heat up the house, and I love the flavor. For this salad, I cut the sweet potatoes into slices and tossed them on the grill. Ok, I really didn’t toss them, but they would make good little frisbees:)
I also charred an ear of corn on the grill. When the sweet potatoes and corn cooled, I cut the sweet potatoes into cubes and removed the corn kernels from the cob. I put them in a bowl and added black beans, avocado, red pepper, green onion, cilantro, and lime.
My mouth is watering just thinking about this salad! I love all of the flavors. We ate this Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potato Salad for dinner with wedges of watermelon on the side. It was the perfect summer meal. And just so you know, this salad is good cold too. I ate the leftovers straight from the fridge the next day and loved it just as much!
I might have to take a break from the pool this week to make this Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potato Salad. It needs to be in my belly!
Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 35 minutes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ear sweet corn husked
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 avocados pit and skin removed, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato slices with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place the sweet potatoes on a grill over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes on each side. When the sweet potatoes are close to being done, place the ear of corn on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes, rotating so the kernels get slightly charred. Let the sweet potatoes and corn cool to room temperature.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into cubes and place in a large bowl. With a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from the cob. Add the corn to the bowl. Stir in black beans, red pepper, green onions, cilantro, and avocado. Squeeze the lime juice over the salad and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.
- Note-the salad will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days.