Instead of the traditional lasagna with layers, we rolled up our lasagna for a fun, easy, and delicious dinner. The spinach artichoke filling with cheese and marinara sauce is a family favorite!
I love traditional lasagna with layers and layers of cheese, sauce, and vegetables. But my new favorite way to enjoy lasagna is in roll up form. You know, like fruit roll ups, but way better because it’s lasagna! Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups are fun to make and fun to eat!
I love making a big pan of lasagna roll ups so we can eat it all week-the leftovers are great. I have also put lasagna roll ups in the freezer and they freeze beautifully! Big time bonus! And I have made Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups for dinner parties. I can prepare the meal in advance, which is perfect for stress-free entertaining. It’s always nice to get compliments on what you spent hours slaving over…oh wait, you don’t have to slave over this recipe. We will keep that our little secret:)
To make the Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups, boil the lasagna noodles and make the spinach artichoke ricotta filling. Spread the filling evenly over the lasagna noodles and top with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce. We always use my Easy Marinara Sauce. It’s the best and I promise it’s super easy!
Next, it’s time to roll! This is the fun part! If you have kids, get them to help with this step. They will love it! Caleb is still too young to help, so I had Josh help instead:)
Spoon some marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 pan and place the fat lasagna rolls in the pan. It is ok if they touch a little. Top the rolls with sauce and more cheese!
Put the pan in the oven and plop down on the couch to watch your favorite TV show or curl up with a book while it bakes. Although you might not be able to concentrate on a show or book because your house is going to smell like lasagna heaven and your tummy is going to be growling at you:)
Pull the pan out of the oven and try to let it cool before diving in! The waiting is the hardest part!
So if you were thinking about what to make for dinner tonight, I hope you are no longer thinking. I hope you are running to the kitchen to make Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups for dinner. Pasta rolled up with cheese, spinach, artichokes, and sauce…what’s not to love? I could eat Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups every night for dinner, but that’s how I roll:)
Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10- ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeeze to remove water
- 1 cup chopped canned or jarred artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups Easy Marinara Sauce or your favorite sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the salt and cook the lasagna noodles to al dente, according to package directions. Drain and carefully lay the lasagna noodles out flat on a large piece of parchment paper. Let sit to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, garlic, spinach, artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese, basil, crushed red pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Line the bottom with marinara sauce, about ½ cup. Set aside.
- Take about ¼ cup of the ricotta spinach mixture and spread it evenly onto each lasagna noodle. Top each noodle with 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce. Carefully roll the noodles up and place them in the prepared pan. Top the lasagna rolls with the remaining marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Spray a large sheet of foil with cooking spray and cover the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted on top. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.