Spring Panzanella Salad-this panzanella salad is bursting with spring vegetables and is a great side dish to any meal.
When I eat a salad, I want a salad with substance. I don’t want a wimpy salad with just greens-I like to pack my salads full of goodies! My current favorite salad is this Spring Panzanella Salad. It has lots of spring green veggies and buttery herbed croutons. A salad with carbs? Yes, please!
Traditionally, panzanella salad is made with day old bread, but I rarely have day old bread lying around because I can never resist a fresh loaf of bread:) So instead of letting my bread get stale on the counter, I dried it out in the oven.
I melted a half stick of Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt and stirred in freshly chopped chives and parsley. It’s so nice to have the half sticks already wrapped and premeasured so that I don’t have any leftovers to put back in the fridge.
I drizzled the melted herb butter over artisan bread cubes and popped them in the oven until they were nice and crunchy. I was tempted to eat the entire pan of bread, but I knew the salad would be worth the wait:)
I roasted a beautiful bunch of asparagus to go in my panzanella salad. I also added peas, arugula, and feta cheese to the mix.
I whisked up a light lemon dressing to give the salad a refreshing finish!
The salad was almost too pretty to eat! Almost! 🙂 Just looking at it makes me happy! It screams spring! The salad is refreshing and the buttery herbed croutons add a great crunch!
If you are looking for a new spring salad to whip up, make this Spring Panzanella Salad. It is great for brunch, lunch, or dinner! It is already on our Easter menu. I can’t wait to make it again! It is my new favorite spring salad!
Spring Panzanella Salad
For the Salad:
- 8 cups cubed artisan bread cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Half Stick ¼ cup Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt, melted
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 large bunch asparagus ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas thaw peas if using frozen
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the Lemon Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, chives, and parsley. Pour herb butter over the bread cubes and toss until well coated. Pour bread cubes on a large baking sheet. Place asparagus pieces on a separate large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss until well coated. Season the bread cubes and asparagus with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place baking sheets in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until bread cubes are crunchy and slightly golden brown and asparagus is tender, but still crisp. You will want to stir the bread crumbs and asparagus 1-2 times while they are in the oven. Remove pans from oven and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, asparagus, arugula, peas, and feta cheese.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, combined olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, shallot, and garlic. Whisk until well combined. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and gently toss. Garnish panzanella salad with additional chives and parsley. Serve.
- Note-this salad is best the day it is made. It can be made a few hours in advance.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
Two Peas and Their Pod has partnered with Land O’Lakes for an exclusive endorsement of Land O Lakes® Butter for their Kitchen Conversations blogger program. This blog post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.