What is better than homemade pie? Homemade pie that you can eat with your hands! I love hand pies. They are fun to make and fun to eat. Plus, hand pies are much more forgiving than regular pies. You don’t have to worry about lattice, fluted edges, or trying to cut the pie perfectly. Just grab a hand pie and go!
Valentine’s Day is next week and to get ready we made Strawberry Dark Chocolate Hand Pies. Strawberries and dark chocolate are a must on Valentine’s Day. Chocolate dipped strawberries are good, but strawberries and dark chocolate inside buttery pie crust, even better!
Josh and I spent an afternoon making these hand pies together. I was planning on our afternoon being romantic-strawberries and chocolate usually lead to romance, right? 🙂 But Caleb woke up from his nap and wanted to run around. He started walking this week and is constantly on the move. I ended up chasing Caleb while Josh made the pie crust.
I finally got Caleb to slow down by bribing him with strawberries. Caleb will do anything for fruit, including sitting still…for a few minutes:) I helped Josh by chopping up the strawberries and chocolate. We assembled the hand pies together and anxiously awaited for them to come out of the oven.
We shared a Strawberry Dark Chocolate Hand Pie and cleaned up the kitchen. Our afternoon may have not been romantic, but it was fun and let me tell you, a man doing the dishes? Sexy indeed! 🙂
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Strawberry Dark Chocolate Hand Pies. You can’t go wrong with a pie for your sweetie pie:)
Strawberry Dark Chocolate Hand Pies
For the Pie Dough:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup cold water plus 2 tablespoons
For the Filling:
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or more depending on sweetness of berries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on pies
- To make the pie dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar and salt on low speed just to combine. Add the butter, and mix, first on low and then increasing the speed to medium low, cutting the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles small peas. With the mixer on low, add the cold water, beating just until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface. Divide it in half and shape each piece into a disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat. In medium bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Stir until strawberries are well coated.
- Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator. Place one of the disks on a lightly floured work surface. Roll into a square about ⅛-inch thick. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, about 5x5 squares. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of strawberries into the center of each square, then top with about 1 tablespoon of chopped dark chocolate. Brush the edges of the square with the heavy cream. Bring opposite corners together to form a triangle and press the edges together. Use a fork to crimp the edges of the pie.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and water with a fork. Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar. Repeat with the remaining squares of dough. Roll out the second disk of pie dough and do the same.
- Transfer the hand pies to the prepared baking sheets, you should have 8 hand pies. Using a sharp knife, cut a small vent or two in the top of each pie. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the pies are golden brown. The filling may bubble out a bit and that's ok. Transfer to a wire rack and allow the pies to cool completely.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod