We had a few friends over this week and of course we ended up in the kitchen. Our good friend Ben took the the lead and made a large pot of Vegetable Confetti Soup for all of us to enjoy. It was fun sitting at the counter watching Josh and Ben chop all of the vegetables for the soup. I am used to one man cooking for me, but two? Even better! 🙂
This soup contains a medley of root vegetables including carrots, sweet potatoes, yams, parsnips, and celery root. The soup also has a mixture of grains that makes this soup very hearty and filling. Ben used an assortment of grains he picked up at Whole Foods in the bin section-brown/white rice, wild rice, quinoa, French lentils, and barley. Feel free to use whatever grains you have on hand. Ben kept the soup vegetarian for me (yes, I am spoiled) but if you would like to add in chicken, go for it. This soup is very versatile.
This colorful root vegetable soup is simple, earthy, and comforting. Ben suggests serving whole grain bread and cheese with the soup, but it is perfectly delicious on it’s own. If you need a healthy, “feel good meal,” make this Vegetable Confetti Soup. It will warm and brighten your day.
Vegetable Confetti Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 medium leeks-white and light green parts sliced and washed to remove sand
- 1 ½ cups mixed grains- white and brown rice wild rice, red and white quinoa, French lentils and barley. Feel free to use whatever grains you like or have on hand.
- 3 cups water
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 2 medium parsnips peeled and chopped
- ½ celery root peeled and chopped
- 1 small yam peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon and a 3 inch strip of zest I use a potato peeler
- 3 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion, shallot, garlic, and leeks until opaque, but not yet browning. Add mixed grains and saute until grain is slightly toasted and aromatics begin to brown. Add water and simmer until reduced by half.
- 2. Add vegetables, lemon, and stock. Simmer until vegetables and rice are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Just before removing from heat add minced parsley.
- 3. Serve warm with bread and cheese, if desired.
- Makes a very large pot of soup. This soup freezes well.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Vegetable Confetti Soup, you might also like:
Vegetable Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Rosemary from Two Peas and Their Pod
Roasted Root Vegetable Soup from Tartelette
French Vegetable Soup from Gourmande in the Kitchen
Roasted Vegetable and Kale Soup from For the Love of Cooking